advertisement

Luxman L-210

jtrade

pfm Member
My newly-acquired Luxman L-210 arrived today and looks wonderful (no photos till I sort out an alternative to gyazo, which apparently pops up ads).

I will connect both a CD player and an iPhone 6 Plus* : I notice in the manual that the highest (largest value) input sensitivity is the MM Phono input 1.8mV @ 50k ohms, whereas the others are all 160mV @ 40k Ohms.

Does this mean I should best connect the CD player to the MM input and the iPhone 6, which outputs 1 volt (I understand the typical CD player outputs 2V) to any one of the others ?

* I have been enjoying streaming Spotify Premium from my iPhone to a Chromecast Audio > Caiman SEG DAC (optical input). My teenage daughter just returned from some travels and, not having the CCA app installed on her iPhone 6, I connected it via a headphone jack > RCA plugs direct to the amp (currently a delightful Yamaha CA-800 II)... for an immediate, undeniable improvement in sound quality. This is an issue for another thread on the Audio forum, but the CCA device will be sold....

Err no.

MM (moving magnet cartridge) input is for your record player. It has RIAA frequency correction to suit vinyl play back and will sound decidedly odd and overloaded fed with 'flat' sources like CD, iPhone, tuner etc..
Just use any of the other inputs.
Very nice amp by the way.

Oh, dear.... my recently acquired, absolutely excellent JVC AX-Z711 is being serviced (picking it up on Friday), so I put the little Luxman back into service for the last 10 days... & I love it.

It's nowhere near as powerful as the JVC, nor as "devoid of artifacts" (if you get my meaning), which is what I love about the JVC.... the Luxman slightly smooths over the edges and adds a little warmth, but I just LOVE the feel of its knobs and the way it looks. It's a little jewel.

I was going to put it up for sale next month, but now I think I will sell my JVC AX-R337TN instead (more powerful, cleaner sounding, but not as pretty legs...). The L-210 will make a perfect aesthetic and acoustic match with the Carlsson Cubes (Sonab OD-11) in my daughter's room.

But the REAL issue is that I truly thought the Z711 was going to my "final" amp.. and now I'm looking at Luxman power amps with VU meters...

When will it stop ?

Another L210 owner here...nice, and particularly like the knobs, a bit like early C-J used.

Have an L5 which I guess is similar era too, which I reckon to be a superior beast though...place of honour in the reasonable WAF factor living room system.
Plays through some JBL L40 speakses from a Sony CDP 915.
Pretty good sound and even with the refoaming of the JBL's taken into account the whole system came in at well under a hundred squids back in the good old days car boot wise.
The L210 was a booty find too. I think the L5 was £4.......

But the REAL issue is that I truly thought the Z711 was going to my "final" amp.. and now I'm looking at Luxman power amps with VU meters...

When will it stop ?

The Labratory range is well built, from about the same time as the L-210, the C-12 pre is very nice if you get a power amp, the matchng B-12 dual monos are supposed to be good :D

Firstly, it must be champagne colour.

I really like the integrated amp at the top of this page http://www.audioclassic.org/luxman-the-modern-classic.html - can anyone read the model number, please ?

I am seriously considering an M-02 http://www.thevintageknob.org/luxman-M-02.html without the matching preamp : does anyone know if the attenuators are for the headphone output only, or effectively control the volume output of the entire amp ?

Luxman have made so many different models over the years over a very wide price range, I keep finding new models of interest :)

Thanks, Nick !

... and the also to ff1d1l for the hilberink link : he's also well-known over here for his Tannoy info.

advertisement

Back