advertisement

Luxman integrated amplifier burn-in

Not at all. There is such a thing as burn in with new equipment. Also depending on the amp design (Class A /Class AB) there maybe a warm up period before the amp reaches optimal performance. This is true for both valve and solid state amplifiers. My Mark Levinson ML2's use to take 2 hours to warm up from turn on before they started to sound good. It's one of the reasons why Naim users leave their amps on continuously.
My system sounds better after about 10 minutes but its sound has not fundamentally changed since I bought it. A dealer saying that a product requires a 150 hours to sound its best? Impossible to prove scientifically.

esp since you're not just turning on your amp are you? If you're listening to music, then you need a source, an amp, some cables and loudspeakers or phones as a minimum.

How do you know it's the amp which is making the alleged change to the sound as time goes by? Why not the rubber surrounds of the speaker cones warming and softening with use ( more likely and quite measurable with sensitive enough kit I'd guess)? And for vinyl lovers that cart is NEVER at 100% in a cool room on the first album, but once it gets to 20c + (warmed by your amp below) then it's a whole new sound, but amps????? What's happening, and if a dealer here knows I'm wrong please use your expertise to explain exactly what is happening inside the amp? Graham must know surely. Baited breath and all that.

PS. I'm not including valve amps in this. Valve amps do need some time to settle down. Maybe up to 20 mins from turn on each time but that's another discussion.

SS amps are much more temperature sensitive than valve amps. Most have a temperature servo that attempts to keep the output devices at their optimum bias such is the degree of temperature sensitivity. Many would go into thermal runaway without it! Other transistors also change their parameters with temperature very significantly and this is taken into consideration in the design.
Electrolytics change ESR with temperature.... on the rare occasions that it's significant enough to be an issue we're generally talking at temps below which most will have put the central heating on though.

So were you expecting the Luxman to sound better than your SET, or what?

With certain kinds of music, yes!

Anything really busy/fast-paced with large dynamic swings (try Captain Beefheart's "Trout Mask Replica" for size) definitely benefits from the extra control conferred by the high damping factor of a solid-state amplifier.

I admit that SET amps can sound exquisite but the best sounding (i.e. very low power) ones severely limit your choice of speaker and it's still possible to be thoroughly engaged by music reproduced by (carefully selected) solid-state electronics.

SS amps are much more temperature sensitive than valve amps. Most have a temperature servo that attempts to keep the output devices at their optimum bias such is the degree of temperature sensitivity. Many would go into thermal runaway without it! Other transistors also change their parameters with temperature very significantly and this is taken into consideration in the design.
Electrolytics change ESR with temperature.... on the rare occasions that it's significant enough to be an issue we're generally talking at temps below which most will have put the central heating on though.
And that’s exactly why I admire the power amplifiers where the small transistors are on the same heat sink as the large output ones, located as close as possible.

advertisement

Back