advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

Out of interest, could the discontinuation of the class-A model(s?) be symptomatic of a corporate shift towards more energy efficient products? In a similar way to how the UK eventually legislated away from old fashioned lightbulbs, larger-powered vacuum cleaners and so forth? Is Japan perhaps anticipating something similar?

In any case, the 590AX-II is a great choice. It's by some measure the best amp I've owned or spent any significant time with. Almost a year into my ownership, and I just can't fault it.

Out of interest, could the discontinuation of the class-A model(s?) be symptomatic of a corporate shift towards more energy efficient products? In a similar way to how the UK eventually legislated away from old fashioned lightbulbs, larger-powered vacuum cleaners and so forth? Is Japan perhaps anticipating something similar?

In any case, the 590AX-II is a great choice. It's by some measure the best amp I've owned or spent any significant time with. Almost a year into my ownership, and I just can't fault it.

. . farfetched but an interesting pov; and in such a case your piece should gain value over time as last of its kind !! ;)

The 590 isn't fully class A so I doubt it's an environmental issue.

590:
Power consumption 330W
260W (under no signal), 0.5W (at standby)

509:
Power consumption 380W
150W (under no signal), 0.5W (at standby)

The 590 isn't fully class A so I doubt it's an environmental issue.

590:
Power consumption 330W
260W (under no signal), 0.5W (at standby)

509:
Power consumption 380W
150W (under no signal), 0.5W (at standby)
At its rated 30WPC (into 8-ohms) the 590 is less than 25% efficient. That is very similar to my proper class A 30WPC Pioneer, which consumes 280W idling. What makes you think the 590 isn't fully class A to its rated power?

Perhaps you meant the 509.

I think he is referring to the fact that the L590AX-II drops into class AB above rated class A output. I believe it can kick out more like 100w into 8ohms beyond its 30w class A bias. Which is completely academic for me with 93dB speakers, in which even 5w would be unpleasantly loud!

At its rated 30WPC (into 8-ohms) the 590 is less than 25% efficient. That is very similar to my proper class A 30WPC Pioneer, which consumes 280W idling. What makes you think the 590 isn't fully class A to its rated power?

Perhaps you meant the 509.
Like JTC says, its been measured at 90-95W into 8 ohms. It’s technically class AB with a large class A bias. Similar story with Accuphase and very common these days. It’s no bad thing.

I think he is referring to the fact that the L590AX-II drops into class AB above rated class A output. I believe it can kick out more like 100w into 8ohms beyond its 30w class A bias. Which is completely academic for me with 93dB speakers, in which even 5w would be unpleasantly loud!
Gotcha. At least the first 30W is class A.

Like JTC says, its been measured at 90-95W into 8 ohms. It’s technically class AB with a large class A bias. Similar story with Accuphase and very common these days. It’s no bad thing.
Curiously, the supposedly class A Accuphase A-48 rated for 45WPC consumes less power idling than the Luxman. I'm given to understand class A is typically no more than 25% efficient for the rated outputs.

Yeah, I agree!! . . . He could have better avoided answering that question; than making everything sound rosy! . . But, even without this question, I was anyways ready for the risk. Let's see, what next!

Don't forget to come back and give your thoughts once all in situ.
Mac

Forgive the total Class A and AB amplifier I gnorance but my Luxman 505 Mk II gets warm when idling…is this symptomatic of the low part of its range also being in Class A (thus producing heat) or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

An Update:

I wrote an email to Luxman asking if they are discontinuing 590 AX II and if there's any replacement planned. Also asked, about the DAC refresh. Below is the said email interaction:

Hello YYYY

I learnt from a dealer in Tokyo that L-590 AX II will soon be discontinued. Is this information true? . . is there any plan to replace 590 with any new high-end Class-A integrated amplifier (as the L-550 AX II is medium-end product)

Also, could you tell if there is plan for any new Streamer or a USB-DAC to replace the DA-250

Pls advise,
XXXXX

Dear XXXXX,

Regarding the L-590AXII, we have not announced any discontinuation for this model yet in the USA/Canada. We have just completed a production run for this model this week. We expect to have these for at least the remainder of this year... however, if you want one, I would encourage you to act soon.

There is no direct replacement announced/planned for the 590AXII at this time.

As for new DAC's or Streamer products, the current plan calls for some new models after the introduction of the SACD players is complete. While I have no official information at this time, my guess is we will see some new models late 2022.

Best regards,
YYYY

"The "L-507Z" is equipped with the latest high-quality, amplified feedback engine "LIFES", next to the power amplifier "M-10X", and is an integrated amplifier that has achieved significant evolution and sophisticated functions beyond its class. This model marks the beginning of the Z series.

Luxman, which will celebrate its 100th anniversary in 2025, is a model that thoroughly researches and embodies a new style as a sophisticated single-body amplifier

The new Z series will be available in late October."

E_yDdmtVEBQ6-P5

"The "L-507Z" is equipped with the latest high-quality, amplified feedback engine "LIFES", next to the power amplifier "M-10X", and is an integrated amplifier that has achieved significant evolution and sophisticated functions beyond its class. This model marks the beginning of the Z series.

Luxman, which will celebrate its 100th anniversary in 2025, is a model that thoroughly researches and embodies a new style as a sophisticated single-body amplifier

The new Z series will be available in late October."

E_yDdmtVEBQ6-P5

kind of looks like a replacement for the 509x.

Nice review of the L595 limited amp on the Steve Guttenberg YouTube channel. He absolutely loved it. I suspect the L595 is very similar in internals to the L590AX-II but with the retro front panel. I certainly wouldn’t change my amp for it but nice to see a glowing review nonetheless…

Nice review of the L595 limited amp on the Steve Guttenberg YouTube channel. He absolutely loved it. I suspect the L595 is very similar in internals to the L590AX-II but with the retro front panel. I certainly wouldn’t change my amp for it but nice to see a glowing review nonetheless…

Nice find. He compared his Pass Labs XP30 preamp and XA25 power amp to the Luxman L-595SE. Summary as follows ;

Pass Labs XP30 preamp + XA25 power amp
- more density, richness, sensuous and roundness to the sound in comparison to Luxman
- more restrained presentation in comparison to Luxman

Luxman L595 SE
- purity, transparency, intensity, life, vividness, power, energy all surpass the Pass Labs
- the Pass Labs subdued all these characteristics of the Luxman

Personally I'll take the Luxman if the differences are as described above.

If I'm not mistaken, there are two owners in the US on another forum who moved from the L-590AXII to 595 SE and found the latter to sound slightly better. Nevertheless, I'll stick to the L590AX-II for looks and better value sound for pound.

advertisement

Back