advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

I don't "Revere" my DBLs, I just like them a lot. When I hear something better I'm happy enough to get those instead. Lots have tried... I'm sure you're aware speakers are rather more than the sophistication of their individual drivers. I've a pair of Neats that I use in another system. the mid-bass drivers are ten quid each, but the speaker sounds great. Implementation is all.

Anyway, this is about amplifiers. I'm taking my dealer's advice & trying the Accuphase 650, hopefully next week. I've never quite gotten on with Class A amps before, but I'm assured this one's quite a bit better than the 480.

There is no "class A amp sound". Lets get that out of the way! They will sound as different from one another as any other type.

I've started a thread on this quite some time ago but define "quality"!? I'll have to write "Zen and the art of amplifier servicing" some day:rolleyes:

I've started a thread on this quite some time ago but define "quality"!? I'll have to write "Zen and the art of amplifier servicing" some day:rolleyes:

Plastic controls vs aluminium controls?
Long-lasting components vs short-lasting components?
Poorly built amplifier enclosures vs well-built ones?

There's a few for starters.

Plastic controls vs aluminium controls?
Long-lasting components vs short-lasting components?
Poorly built amplifier enclosures vs well-built ones?

There's a few for starters.

What advantages do aluminium controls confer?

Most components are long lasting. Electrolytic caps are generally the least long lasting and FWIW I've found Chinese etc ones such as "Jackcon" and "Capxon" even in high end brands in the last 10 years or so.

I suspect for many people they mean "shiny impressive looks".... that's not quality and the Japanese are masters of making units which look really impressive until you go inside and find it's very different once the lids off!

Many companies make stuff where any amount of cost cutting in the places that matter will be carried out merely in order to use a 1/2" thick aluminium front fascia.... a complete waste of money!

OK go on then. List your top 5 best quality amp makers.

The main point is that different people will have widely varying ideas of what constitutes quality.
But... and it could change if I was asked tomorrow.. Obviously that paragon of everything virtuous about UK hi fi Arkless Electronics:D
Then oh lets see...
'80's Krell
'70's Sugden
'70's Quad
'50''s - 60's Leak
'90's Spectral
'80's Lentek integrated.

and the very ultimate of all time which will never be equalled never mind beaten is not hi fi gear but Tektronix oscilloscopes from the '50's and '60's. In electronics in general the ultimate accolade is "built like an old Tek 'scope"!

Note there's nothing "shiny shiny" with VU meters and brushed aluminium etc as that's just shallow "bangles and baubles".

The Sugden and Leak could be booted out for not having cutting age circuit design but scrape in due to good honest solid build that lasts indefinitely and is always repairable.

Worst? Some Meridian and Lecson are bloody awful with the Meridian Component Amplifier easily taking first prize.

Someone has attempted HiFi maintenance. Quality is discussed but I don't agree with much of it. It is neither Zen nor a decent koan.

https://londonjazzcollector.wordpress.com/for-audiophiles/zen-and-the-art-of-hifi-maintenance/

It’s mostly tosh of course, but...he-he;
HiFi forum trolls never have any experiences to share, because they have never tried these things for themselves, because they “know” they don’t work. Their idea of a great day is typing “You are wrong because you are stupid” insults. The only way to know what difference anything makes is to try it. Then you are entitled to an opinion, bearing in mind what works for you may not work for someone else and vice versa. Even then, if you apply a tweak to an insensitive or unbalanced system it may not sound any better, indeed it may perversely sound worse by revealing a weakness elsewhere.

this is my approach, for what it’s worth.

That Denon looks superb! I have to admit that the idea of trying a large Japanese integrated amp is really growing on me as an alternative to upgrading my (currently modest) Naim kit to a Supernait2, which I thought would be next move. Did it sound as good as it looks?

Yes, I only sold it as I downsized (along with the Kef 201/2s). Best system I've had. The Denon PMA-2000 range (2000AE, 2010AE, 2020AE, 2500NE) are all pretty much the same under the skin, amp wise just with a change of inputs, the 2500NE has a built in DAC. I had the PMA-2000AE a good few years back, and then the PMA-2500NE last year.

System
by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

System

There’s not much love for European and US kit on PFM is there. It’s either UK ‘British is best’ kit or Retro ‘or restored’ Japanese kit... there’s a whole world of goodness that’s this l’ill island is missing out on!

My favourite kit is mostly American, I detest Linn and Naim, and wouldn't touch any of the "tarts handbag"/"glitter ball" Jap kit featured in this thread, with built in DACs, remote control everything etc, with a barge pole.
I'd also take the big expensive Tandberg 70's retro goodness before any of the Jap stuff... oh and some of the 70's ReVox amps, receivers etc are very good. I have an A78 integrated amp and it's excellent.

The Line 2 input of the A-S3200 has a corresponding pair of output sockets which are suitable for use as a recording output to a Nakamichi. Or other cassette deck, come to that.
The whole point about a tape loop is the ability to monitor off tape as you are recording (or adjusting bias/EQ by ear). The Luxman and Accuphase have this facility. Yamaha does not.

Yes, I only sold it as I downsized (along with the Kef 201/2s). Best system I've had. The Denon PMA-2000 range (2000AE, 2010AE, 2020AE, 2500NE) are all pretty much the same under the skin, amp wise just with a change of inputs, the 2500NE has a built in DAC. I had the PMA-2000AE a good few years back, and then the PMA-2500NE last year.

System

System

Ah I've got a Philips CD player exactly like that. I always quite rated it. I modded the analogue section by replacing all the op amps with discrete class A ones I made.. they hardly fit in!

Ah I've got a Philips CD player exactly like that. I always quite rated it. I modded the analogue section by replacing all the op amps with discrete class A ones I made.. they hardly fit in!

I think mine was a CD-850, was a good workhorse until I bagged the Sony DVP-S9000ES and thats been here ever since.

OK go on then. List your top 5 best quality amp makers.

To me, it’s more about the components being used than a specific manufacturer.
When I open an amplifier, I look at the volume potentiometer and it usually gives me a good indication of the quality.
Stepped volume pot with multiple resistors : super high quality.
Big black box type ALPS : high quality.
Smaller blue box ALPS : rather high quality as well.
As to the amp brand.........well I saw some 80’s amps from Pioneer with multiple resistors pot and the overall quality was there ! That gave me a lesson on ‘’not to spit’’ on everything that is not one of my favorite British brands !

advertisement

Back