advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

There are differences...but if I'm reading your posts correctly, the headphone amp and inbuilt phono stage don't bother you (the Luxman has very HQ items for both these, much better IMO than Yamahas offerings), but as I said the three are not a million miles apart in basic digital input replay. I think all three are built for several generations of use, and all three nod at their heritage. Yamaha made and make lovely loudspeakers...Luxman makes electronics and decks and Accuphase make electronics only. Maybe that's significant.

You are - I don't need either of those really as the source I have deals with my TT and I rarely use the Headphone out as I prefer the separate desktop system I have for that. So it's just all about the amplification, quality and aesthetics.

I have an L-509X. It's my end-game amp. Would only really consider upgrading to Luxman separates but I think I'd rather keep the rack real estate for the gain in SQ.

I had the "class A" L-590AXII previously and loved that too. I only upgraded because I got some Fact 12s (also end-game) which needed the extra grunt. I went into that demo with some apprehension but it was a no brainer. What I'm trying to say is that the Luxman sound is detailed but smooth across the board so I wouldn't get too hung up on class A VS AB. If you have efficient speakers and have easy listening habits then by all means go for the Class A models.

I can't claim to have listened to the other contenders but from what I've read (which is quite a lot), Luxman and Accuphase are a cut above Yamaha for Hi-fi. Accuphase are probably a shade warmer, they don't tend to "measure as well" as Luxman, if that sort of thing bothers you, but a lot of people love the rich Accuphase sound. As someone mentioned however, the markup on Accuphase in the west is really high. If you look at the prices in Japan you're essentially dropping down a level in the range here for the same money as Luxman.

Get a home demo is my advice. Fanthorpes are the place to go for Luxman, assuming they're open this week.

A couple more things:

I'd put money on the L-509X blowing away the E-270. You'd need the E-470 to put up a fair fight.
The phono stage in the Luxman is excellent, the headphone amp not so much.

That all sounds like spot on advice.

I too have the L-509x but other than saying that I can’t see myself ever looking at amps again, I don’t know that my pretty limited experience is of much use. I personally don’t like the look of Accuphase, while as a piece of design, the Luxman really floats my boat, it’s stunning. I absolutely smashed my budget when I got it, but I’ve not regretted it for a single second. I’m using it with Harbeth Shl5+, basically I just skipped to endgame and missed out all the intermediate upgrading.
I do agree that the headphone section is underwhelming though, but I barely ever use it.

I have an L-509X. It's my end-game amp. Would only really consider upgrading to Luxman separates but I think I'd rather keep the rack real estate for the gain in SQ.

I had the "class A" L-590AXII previously and loved that too. I only upgraded because I got some Fact 12s (also end-game) which needed the extra grunt. I went into that demo with some apprehension but it was a no brainer. What I'm trying to say is that the Luxman sound is detailed but smooth across the board so I wouldn't get too hung up on class A VS AB. If you have efficient speakers and have easy listening habits then by all means go for the Class A models.

I can't claim to have listened to the other contenders but from what I've read (which is quite a lot), Luxman and Accuphase are a cut above Yamaha for Hi-fi. Accuphase are probably a shade warmer, they don't tend to "measure as well" as Luxman, if that sort of thing bothers you, but a lot of people love the rich Accuphase sound. As someone mentioned however, the markup on Accuphase in the west is really high. If you look at the prices in Japan you're essentially dropping down a level in the range here for the same money as Luxman.

Get a home demo is my advice. Fanthorpes are the place to go for Luxman, assuming they're open this week.

Thanks - slightly envious of your amp :).

I am curious to understand the statement I highlighted in your post - most of what I have read about the higher end Yamaha stuff would suggest that they are actually on a par with Luxman and Accuphase. Certainly the components inside the new A-S3200 look to be absolutely top-notch.

That said, I am probably leaning towards Luxman personally.

I am curious to understand the statement I highlighted in your post - most of what I have read about the higher end Yamaha stuff would suggest that they are actually on a par with Luxman and Accuphase.
On reflection, that was too much of a generalisation, probably based on the fact that Yamaha don't make an integrated amp in the very high end bracket the 509X sits in. I was only looking at integrated amplifiers so Yamaha was a brand seldom mentioned. I'm sure they make some great kit, the A-S3200 certainly looks the part! I'm only familiar with their AV Receivers personally.

As always, listen for yourself is the best advice anyone can give, unless you're buying used, in which case it's hard to go wrong with any of the models mentioned. Just make sure you avoid grey imports.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Umm, thats a lot of dosh for an amps with not so good PSU (low-ish damping factor) and 100w per channel that doesn't square up well.
https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/a-s3200/specs.html#product-tabs

I agree it's expensive but then, the L-509x 'only' has 20wpc more (not that that means much), granted with a much higher damping factor and better PSU. However, that costs in excess of £8k new.

By the way - I am leaning more towards Luxman anyway but that's even more cost - does the additional cost reflect that much better quality?

IMHO - If you're pushing the boat out, then go as far as you can........ buy once and forget about an upgrade path - go for the end goal from the beginning!
The PSU matters a great deal, it adds control, finesse and a sense of ease only a high current delivery can. But, its also be looking at other for £8K... theirs a lot of money wasted in the import TAX with high-end Japaneses amps/products.

An Audionet WATT would probably/comfortably surpass the luxman or Accuphase.

you don't need the 509 to hear Luxman how good Luxman are. The whole range share this sound, and they start at half the 509's price. As to your question, I'd rate Lux and Accu as 'honest' makers...if you pay more you get more, so it's just a matter of where you place your needs and your cash. No-one but you can decide who you, in 5 years time, will feel. The 509 is the best. It's clear. If that's who you are, a 'the best' man, then there's your answer ;)

The 509X measures at around 150W into 8 ohm, 250W into 4 ohm.

There are so many really great high end integrated amps on the market at the moment that I would question why anyone would want to go for separates, unless they’re looking to use a valve pre-amp or something.

Luxman, Accuphase, McIntosh, Esoteric, Mark Levinson, Gryphon... the list goes on.

I’ve a feeling the OP is lusting after some VU meters though!

Umm, thats a lot of dosh for an amps with not so good PSU (low-ish damping factor) and 100w per channel that doesn't square up well.
https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/a-s3200/specs.html#product-tabs
Since when was 250 considered a "low-ish damping factor"? I appreciate times have moved on but most integrated amps of yesteryear had damping factors below 100. Many would argue that the effect of damping factor becomes negligible once you go above 50. I'd be curious to know if anyone could hear the difference between 250DF and 370DF that's attributable to damping factor alone and not another aspect of the design. To put it into context, 250DF = 0.032Ω Zout, 370DF = 0.022Ω Zout, the difference doesn't seem significant to me on paper at least.

A couple more things:

I'd put money on the L-509X blowing away the E-270. You'd need the E-470 to put up a fair fight.
The phono stage in the Luxman is excellent, the headphone amp not so much.
I think you'd need to hear both.

Since when was 250 considered a "low-ish damping factor"? I appreciate times have moved on but most integrated amps of yesteryear had damping factors below 100. Many would argue that the effect of damping factor becomes negligible once you go above 50. I'd be curious to know if anyone could hear the difference between 250DF and 370DF that's attributable to damping factor alone and not another aspect of the design. To put it into context, 250DF = 0.032Ω Zout, 370DF = 0.022Ω Zout, the difference doesn't seem significant to me on paper at least.

have a look at the new Accuphase E-800 and E-650 both have high DF and both double from 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 Ohm.

advertisement

Back