advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

1. I'm not a Windows fan, just a computer expert & programmer with a state diploma.

I'm always very wary of anyone who introduces themselves as an "Expert"

Back on topic the Luxman amp sounds like a fantastic bit of HIfi

one day maybe .......

My phono stage has yellow lights, the integrated I like is lit up blue, the preamp has orange leds, the DAC has red leds and the power amp dials are white. Are they colour blind or running a vendetta against OCD.

Ah shit, here we go again with your ‘fifty quid chip amp destroys all comers’ claims..., let me get my popcorn, settle on the sofa for tonight’s entertainment.... ;)

I like your Rega P8 very much and your Tannoys and your Stax. I have the Gamma with SRD-X amp. Very nice rig you have.
The amp makes it. The Mjolnir is - I think - superbly well-executed class A. It adds the impact and bass depth/weight (that are usually the thing that if anyone is inclined to criticise Stax they pick up on) by a huge amount. Almost too bassy - it’s great. The Luxman is a superb amp and much better than any other solid state amp I’ve had here. I just can’t find any fault with the sound at all, it’s a great match. The P8 is good too; the Luxman’s in-built MC stage is of superb quality. Happy days.

The amp makes it. The Mjolnir is - I think - superbly well-executed class A. It adds the impact and bass depth/weight (that are usually the thing that if anyone is inclined to criticise Stax they pick up on) by a huge amount. Almost too bassy - it’s great. The Luxman is a superb amp and much better than any other solid state amp I’ve had here. I just can’t find any fault with the sound at all, it’s a great match. The P8 is good too; the Luxman’s in-built MC stage is of superb quality. Happy days.
Same experience with the Luxman L-590AXII. I have a strong feeling this one is going to last until the very end this time (it didn't really work out when i felt the same way on my previous upgrades). I have no doubt there will be better amps out there such as Vitus, Gryphon or Audionet for instance but the Luxman nails it at half the price or less. Great value sound for pound. After getting the Luxman into the system I have spent considerable money on upgrades to bring the system to greater heights. Some of the changes include better mains sockets, balanced interconnects and power cords (Acrolink Mexcel cords costing almost £6,000 in total). Come to think of it, it's crazy the power cords cost close to the amp.

I'm glad the Luxman worked out for you.

Well, it has thus far. I've no desire to gild the lily with fancy cables, but where things sit right now is a good place and I'm basically done. I don't think there's much point in spending any more money on the system since any gains from this point on will be pretty marginal, and of little point until I one day get a better room (in which I can maybe put some room treatments....). I genuinely believe I am where I want to be, music-wise.

brilliant system...so much punch, detail, and just pure music going on there I'd imagine :)
Don't do more. I honestly think that more would be less.
Somewhere, Suffolk Tony posted a Range Rover review by Harry's garage. (post 284 in the 'ban on petrol/diesel car' thread.
The point was not about the perfection of the marque, but mostly about the ability to find a sweet spot in driving this kind of car. I thought he nailed it really well...just 'enough' performance, just ok MPG, a few tips about tuning and repairs...It was exactly like your build up to this system in many ways.

OFC the 'stats' favour newer, better kit...more expensive later models, tuning parts, but this 2010 3.6 V8 was just when he thought, they got it all right. You could see how much he loved driving it. No niggles, did what he wanted, made him smile.

And naturally this is where my Tannoy/Luxman/Palmer has got me. For the first time in 30 odd years, I just turn it on, it works, I smile and what on earth is the point of more? None for me. And for the cynics, the point is, there are no compromises. I can't hear anywhere its weak. It just gels.

Glad you are there too.

Just in case anyone is interested, Accuphase have just listed the details of the new DP-570 player on their website. I expect it will retail for around £10k here, like its predecessor did. One charming 'quirk' I just learned about with current Accuphase players, you can't switch the display off.

Naim quality is very high. I own both a Luxman 590AXII and a lot of Naim kit (300DR, NDS, ....), some about 15 years old. The Luxman seems more polished but both style are so very different that it is not easy to compare directly.
May I ask which naim preamp is matched with the 300DR? I too own the L-590AXII, and the Naim 282/250DR/HCDR. What do you mean when you mentioned the Luxman is more polished?

After living with the Luxman L-590AXII for several months, I find that it requires 1.5 hours when powered up from cold to reach optimal performance.

After living with the Luxman L-590AXII for several months, I find that it requires 1.5 hours to reach optimal performance.
My EQ-500 takes about a side to perk up and then improves a little more over the next LP or 3. In negotiation for a 590AXII, gonna see if I like it paired with my Logans, won't be until Feb though.

advertisement

Back