Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Paulq2, Jun 11, 2020.

1. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

Not yet but planning to do this tonight...

2. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

Morning update. Some notes:

Sonically it’s great. Whether it’s great enough, let me get to know it a bit more. Wish the meters measured input signal rather than being tied to output listening volume. They’re more responsive than Mac meters. Loudness setting more pronounced than expected. I don’t really need it. Wish it had balanced outputs but my Mjolnir does so will ultimately be connected DAC->Mjolnir->Luxman through necessity.

One wee negative is that there is the faintest of transformer hum from the unit itself (nothing through the speakers) and not at all intrusive, especially when music playing.

3. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

If you've got some nitpicks (transformer hum, not the build quality you were expecting, meters measuring the wrong thing) then it seems like it's not going work out as a 'final' amp. Any negatives (even small) will be used as rationale for another upgrade. Then again I think this will be the case for any option.

I could probably make decent money betting people that their 'final' thingamajig will be gone in 5 years or less. ;)

Tw99, Gervais Cote and Cereal Killer like this.
  4. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

The build quality is great, no complaints; it’s just not ‘remarkable’. Hum may be a break-in thing. The meters really don’t matter. Overall, I am *very* impressed - don’t think that I’m not. But it would be a reach to sink this kinda dough into the amp, and it’s not something to be taken lightly....

5. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

Never say never and all that. Who knows what the future brings, but I would dearly love to get off the hifi treadmill. I’m basically there but for the amp.....

6. hermit

hermit pfm Member

FWIW, the transformer on my L590 hummed a bit until the amp warmed up. In my case it was due to my mains being 246v. A regenerator putting out a steady 230v silenced the transformer.

JTC likes this.
  7. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer 432 Point5

What is the amp sitting on?
    Is your room warm or cold?
    Does it hum only at times?
    Any previous amps hum?

8. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

Big oak sideboard, fairly empty cupboard underneath that may be slightly amplifying the hum. Room is cool(ish) - 18C at present - but warmer in the evenings (heating comes on around 4pm). Too early to say if it’s time-telated: it’s only had about 10hrs powered since new. Previous amps: the Mac hums less, don’t think anything has been perfectly silent though. An olive NAP250 hummed way more. The Luxman really isn’t humming badly at all to be fair...

9. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer 432 Point5

I'm quietly confident it'll stop - maybe when the rooms hotter and the amps had time to really build up some decent heat.
    Also the empty 'box' underneath could possibly be amplifying the hum.
    It's not a potted transformer so will to some extent depend on your incomings mains quality.

10. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer 432 Point5

Sorry if I missed this, but is the amp brand new, as in; arrived in a sealed box?

11. notevenclose

notevenclose pfm Member

It can be irritating though, especially late at night. I had 4 amps in my last place, a Leben buzzed very slightly, a borrowed Lavardin was dead silent (as I'd expect from previous experience), a 47Labs amp was the worst offender, apparently a common issue with chip amps, and the current Job was completely inert. As with the Lavardin, if it weren't for the LEDs on the front panel, you'd never know if it was one or off even with a paw on the top panel.

Just had a sparky round this morning doing complete wiring check in new residence, the amp's not been switched on yet, so fingers crossed...

12. notevenclose

notevenclose pfm Member

Just out of curiosity, are you referring to 'fit & finish' (actually, I tend to think of it as 'fit, finish & feel') or internal build quality?

13. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

Yes.

Cereal Killer likes this.
  14. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

Just (ahem) ‘knob feel’ ;) - it’s good but a few reviews had spoken of irresistible tactile pleasure from Luxman amps’ controls. I guess hyperbole....

15. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

Some transformers hum when the voltage is either too low or too high so what you say here makes perfect sense.
    I have the exact same situation with my Naim NAP 250.2 but when the main is dead on the right frequency and voltage, my amplifier is perfectly silent.
    Generally speaking, the bigger the transfo, the more risk you have to get some humming, especially when its diameter is large and the height is low.

16. notevenclose

notevenclose pfm Member

Or perhaps it was a comment from a younger knob-twiddler who doesn't remember the 1970s heyday of sexy smooth Japanese stuff. I'm sure part of that success was the fact that all the controls felt either sexy or precise whereas a lot of the UK-made knobbage was a bit scratchy by comparison, or felt like it might come off in your hand (which it occasionally did).

I'm not sure they've ever surpassed that period either, I've owned amps by Kondo and Leben which had knobs and switches which were nice enough but not swoon-inducingly buttery. My Job, although relatively inexpensive, has Goldmund switchgear and quite a pleasant feel.

Looking around just now, I confess in terms of aesthetics and fit & finish, to my eyes I don't see anything as appealing as SPEC or Bakoon. I confess if I were to be looking for my ultimate amp, the M99 or the AMP-13R would be the first two products I'd make a beeline for.

Sadly, as I moved house just last week...

17. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

Ok. TL;DR summary on the MC stage (with my Apheta 2)?

it’s stunning.

18. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

Transformers don't "run-in". If it hums now it will continue to hum whenever the mains conditions are the same or worse.

Worse means: poor power factor, high(er) voltage, dc offset, waveform distortion.

maccar, Gervais Cote and booja30 like this.
  19. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer 432 Point5

It’s a matter of running in, the materials expanding and contracting to there extremes. This is a fact, they are made of different metals and metals do this.. transformers generally stop humming after a few weeks.

20. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

Fact LoL!