advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

Other way around I reckon. MacDonald, Mackay, Macleod etc. Though I daresay if you trace the etymology they'll probably be interchangeable....

You may be right, though I've not seen a 'MacDonald',; only a Macdonald'. I rather think that those northern Irish, who originally came across from Scotland, probably allowed their original 'Mc's to migrate to other forms.

I have a feeling that, generally and originally, Mac********* would tend to be from Ireland and Mc******** from Scotland.

They're both the same thing, Mc or M' being an abbreviation of Mac, two out of three Mc surnames originate in Ireland while two out of three Mac surnames originate in Scotland. Either way they both mean Mac which in Gaelic is 'son of' while O (as in O'neil) means 'grandson of'.

They're both the same thing, Mc or M' being an abbreviation of Mac, two out of three Mc surnames originate in Ireland while two out of three Mac surnames originate in Scotland. Either way they both mean Mac which in Gaelic is 'son of' while O (as in O'neil) means 'grandson of'.

I agree. Coming to England as a young boy from Ireland and being asked by my teacher who was reading my name:

"So, are you a Muck or a Mac?"

I had no idea what they were talking about.

Peter McDermott, surname always, in my shortish life, pronounced MacDermott.

Pronunciation of Mackay or similar integrated name is always 'mac', though 'Mc' will be pronounced 'mk' Think this unpronounced syllable is called a schwa (but my memory is hazy on that one). Ergo, McQueen is definitely Mk Queen (MickQueen?) and Macdonald is 'mac'. Anyway, this is how I hear it, but I guarantee there'll be exceptions !!!
Funny you should mention that as an example -- my grandma's maiden name was MacQueen (with an a)!

How would you blokes pronounce this favourite creamy / crémeux molar extractor from my childhood?

Mackintosh-Wrapper.jpg

Mack-in-toshez or mick-in-toshez creamy toffee / toffee crémeux?

Joe

I've arranged a loan of the 590AX-II in a week or so. Along with a similarly priced valve integrated from Octave.

Maybe instead of/in addition to the Octave you could demo the Luxman LX-380 if you fancy valves with your Ardens. I sold a 590ax a few months ago and have settled on an LX-380 for my Lockwoods with 15" Monitor Golds. YMMV.

The reason I recommend the LX-380 is that it has the same Lecua volume pot as the 590 and the same phono stage. I am a big fan of Lecua and I was thrilled when Luxman brought out the LX-380. It took me a while to find one ex-demo that I could afford.

Has any one had the opportunity of demoing Accuphase separates ie the C-2450 or 2850 pre and the A-48 or 75 pa in combination ?? Both pa's are Class A amps. Just curious. I have heard the E-800 integrated with an ND555 source and Spendor speakers and been very impressed, The Class A sound is to me so relaxing and musical and I think I prefer it to the Naim 552/500 combo when playing classical music.

Haven't heard those particular models, but I do own the C2420 and P4200 and find it quite an upgrade from my previous intigrated the E470
Mac

My M-60 monos. The first monos Accuphase ever made from 1975.

I am actually using them at the moment. Completely original no parts replaced, they still sound fine. Even the huge ELNA reservoir caps look in superb condition.

I know I know, I am living on borrowed time and they should be re-capped. I'm not listening, LOL. These amps still sound very good.

Personally I love the aesthetic. In practise they can dump over 500 Watts into 4 Ohms, but are rated for 450W by Accuphase.

Probably fairly rare these days especially in this condition.

That's an old pic from my previous house.

fa621433c5ffecec872826f05722f4f7.jpg

Can you show more of that H. H. Scott tuner?

Not sure about spec but I play through a Bluesound Node 2i using Qobuz High Res files. I also have a Cyrus 8SE CD player. Budget is £800 to £1200 but could probably go a bit higher if there is a significant difference in sound quality. Doesn’t need to have a pre amp or headphone amp function.

Can you show more of that H. H. Scott tuner?

I would do but the site doesn't support image hosting and isn't on Tapatalk.

So I won't. Too much bother. It's just a 350 in excellent condition. Plenty of pics on the web I suspect.

Preamp is a Luxman C-800F. I have a Luxman M-800A, too.

Has anyone here ever done a direct comparison between the Sugden IA-4 and the Luxman 550AX-II or 590AX-II?

I know that there's a big difference in price, but all being equal which would be the better amp? (I suppose I should qualify that by saying that this would be into efficient large-ish Tannoys (Legacy Arden 15", an 93dB/8ohm design), and at moderate listening levels (80dB or so)).

There is a bit of deja vu here...I think this subject has been done, in detail 3 times so far.
You really do need to hear the amps at home. The biggest factor in getting the sound you want is getting the speakers and the room working together. It produces a totally distinctive sound and there is, therefore no real answer to your question.. Luc class A might be your answer or it might not. You have to try them at home. If C19 is your problem, then wait.

advertisement

Back