advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

If you are UK based and want Class A amplification I would choose Sugden. It will be easier to get it serviced when the time comes and they sound great.

So if just a pure analog amp, I'd also consider the Rega Osiris and Densen B-175XS in that lineup unless you specifically wanted a Jap amp?

To be honest I am not sure yet but given that I have s couple of Linn streamers I may invest in another one of their pre amps to use with it.

I have however considered adding it to my main system in place of the Nord I currently have driving SCM 19s. The amp may add a touch of warmth and of course they all have tone controls which give an element of flexibility when needed.

Seems like the Yamaha's are highly regarded. They are a slightly cheaper option than the others too.

If you're mainly hoping that an amp change will bring this touch of warmth to your system, I'd suggest that you are never going to get a "warm" sound with ATCs. Neutrality is what they do.

Funnily enough...In my quest to reduce box count (for good reasons I won't elaborate on) I borrowed my dealer's Accuphase A-480, more out of curiosity than anything else, as a possible replacement for my Naim 552DR/500DR. I've also realised that, for this amp, you can buy a DAC card which, I understand, is rather good, so I could potentially lose five boxes (amps & DAVE DAC, Chord M-Scaler).

Anyway, once I'd managed to get it in the door and up on the rack (it's bloody heavy!) I gave it a fair listen yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised, but it did sound rather harsh. It's a pretty new unit, so I left it playing for a couple of hours this morning & it definitely sounds a bit more mellow. Interesting! As others note, it's beautifully made; a real old-fashioned, Japanese receiver-type appearance, it oozes quality and is a pleasure to use. Having to physically switch over to amp only for my A/V system's a bit of a fag, but not a huge problem. It doesn't currently have the DAC module fitted (my dealer's demo unit's out) but I think the next stage is to borrow it.

Does it sound as good as the Naim? No, of course it doesn't! And once I hook that back up it'll sound better, but increasingly, I realise my audio memory either isn't what it was, or I'm more inclined to relax into a good sound and forget about how much better it could sound. Mmmm...

0FofGdm.jpg

If you're mainly hoping that an amp change will bring this touch of warmth to your system, I'd suggest that you are never going to get a "warm" sound with ATCs. Neutrality is what they do.

Not universally, I am very happy with them as they are. It's more to be able to make subtle tweaks to recordings that sometimes need it. Few and far between, but nice to have. The speakers are keepers, they are not going anywhere.

The main driver is a Japanese amp to satisfy curiosity and the retro feel along with sampling the different sound signature. Oh and VU meters. I know, sad, but I like them :)

Yes CK. I did investigate getting a pair of active ATC 100s, but as noted above, they did sound a bit cold in the dealer's system. I'm still weighing up whether I should try the 150s in my own system.

I owned 2 Luxman amps, have had an Accuphase on loan but only heard Yamaha on demo.
If your main concern is sound, then all three make class AB amps that are so close that in 2 weeks, any of them will do you fine (not being rude here...they are, all 3 really excellent...there are differences and I bought Luxman 505 for a reason, but it's close). However Accuphase and Luxman also make class A amps and those, in my opinion do sound 'better'. They are a touch more 'organic', solid and real sounding, if that makes and sense, so my 2P is that I'd buy a class A amp, and the Luxman L-550AX11 has all you need in it, and is cheaper than the Accuphase whilst sound 99.9% as good or even, some say, better.

Yes CK. I did investigate getting a pair of active ATC 100s, but as noted above, they did sound a bit cold in the dealer's system. I'm still weighing up whether I should try the 150s in my own system.

Interesting, having been down the ATC active route myself i can see your POV.... DBLs are probs not the best partner for the A-480

There is something 'so right' in the looks of the Luxman and Accuphase range of kit.:)

There is - a big part of the attraction for me. What's interesting though, as the thread progresses, is that there's increasingly less talk of the Yamaha stuff. I think there's a strength of feeling over Luxman/Accuphase that attracts a large number of music people. :)

If you are UK based and want Class A amplification I would choose Sugden. It will be easier to get it serviced when the time comes and they sound great.

Agree 100% ! Sugden as a first choice and Accuphase as second, according to what my ears are telling me.

Funnily enough...In my quest to reduce box count (for good reasons I won't elaborate on) I borrowed my dealer's Accuphase A-480, more out of curiosity than anything else, as a possible replacement for my Naim 552DR/500DR. I've also realised that, for this amp, you can buy a DAC card which, I understand, is rather good, so I could potentially lose five boxes (amps & DAVE DAC, Chord M-Scaler).

Anyway, once I'd managed to get it in the door and up on the rack (it's bloody heavy!) I gave it a fair listen yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised, but it did sound rather harsh. It's a pretty new unit, so I left it playing for a couple of hours this morning & it definitely sounds a bit more mellow. Interesting! As others note, it's beautifully made; a real old-fashioned, Japanese receiver-type appearance, it oozes quality and is a pleasure to use. Having to physically switch over to amp only for my A/V system's a bit of a fag, but not a huge problem. It doesn't currently have the DAC module fitted (my dealer's demo unit's out) but I think the next stage is to borrow it.

Does it sound as good as the Naim? No, of course it doesn't! And once I hook that back up it'll sound better, but increasingly, I realise my audio memory either isn't what it was, or I'm more inclined to relax into a good sound and forget about how much better it could sound. Mmmm...

0FofGdm.jpg

I kept holding my breath until you said no, it doesn’t sound as good as Naim !
Better keep my stack of black boxes then !

Another vote for Accuphase here. Had mine 16 years still looks new as they are so well built. Have no intention of replacing.

Do bear in mind they are probaly over priced due to the exchange rate. I bought mine for £2500 in 04, shortly afterwards they went to 4k for the newer model. Now they are 6.3k for the equivalent model.

It will stop upgraditus though.

advertisement

Back