advertisement

Lumin, Genelec, Mini DSP SHD Power - your thoughts?

Dave G

pfm Member
Hi,

A while ago I posted questions about streaming to an active pair of Genelecs and a sub that uses the GLM room correction software. One of my options was to go for the Lumin U1 transport and go digital all the way to the Genelecs. There are a number of things that have stopped me going this route, as I've not found clear answers.

I set up my room correction using my Mac and then play my music from a SSD, no streaming at the moment. I control the volume from the GLM software on my laptop. What I am unsure about is; can I set the max volume on the Genelecs using the GLM software and then unplug the laptop and use the Lumin for volume control and still have the room correction working. Where is the GLM room correction profile stored? Would I be able to stream from the Lumin, use its volume control and still have the room correction operating without a laptop connected?

My other option is ditching all of the above as a solution and getting a MiniDSP that has built in power amp and using some "vintage" JBLs. As I understand the MiniDSP is a robust and reliable bit of kit and simple to set up and operate - just plug and play. I also understand their room correction is good (as good as Genelec) and the room profiles are stored on the device. Some reviews also say the power amp is pretty good, so I could go completely computer free once its been set up.

Thoughts / advice?

Thanks.

advertisement

Back