Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

LS3/5a - what Amps are PF-ers using ?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Ianp, Jan 31, 2022.

1. Graham H

Graham H pfm Member

Falcon Silver with Naim CB 32.5/Hi Cap/160, original spec recently serviced by Class A.

Have also tried Bryston B60R, Rega Elex R, Primare i15, Rega Io and Naim Nait 1.

Ianp likes this.
  2. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

Heard these speakers with this amp long time ago and it was a pure delight. Completely addictive without any listener fatigue over several hours. That’s what I would buy if I was on the market for these little speakers.

Ianp likes this.
  3. Ianp

Ianp pfm Member

Now I'd love to hear them with the Quad IIs !

Nagraboy likes this.
  4. ampedup

ampedup Lost in audio

I'm hearing them right now! Sibelius tone poems, Sir Alexander Gibson. Suits my morning exercises.

Nagraboy and Ianp like this.
  5. Ianp

Ianp pfm Member

They're lovely with the 303. LS3/5a and Quad does have a nice feel to it I think.

6. Jodet

Jodet pfm Member

Falcon Q7 with a Black Ice Audio EL-34 amp. Best I've ever heard.

[​IMG]

Tarzan, Ianp and ampedup like this.
  7. Yivez

Yivez Active Member

Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge with Leben CS600

8. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

Whether intentional or not it seems a lot of folk are using amps that roll-off the highs a little with these speakers, is that a fair interpretation?

Panderos and Ianp like this.
  9. Ianp

Ianp pfm Member

Wow, I've not even heard of that amp !

Tarzan likes this.
  10. Ianp

Ianp pfm Member

Lebens CS600 eh, now that's a beautiful thing.

Yivez likes this.
  11. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

Stirling Broadcast V3 with Nait 2.
    Works for me as well.

I had a Quad 34/303, an Arcam Delta 60 and a Marantz integrated
    ( that Doug Stirling recommended ) previously.
    All had their pros & cons.
    Somehow, though, the Nait 2 sounds the best to my ears...

12. Ianp

Ianp pfm Member

To my genuine and utter regret I have never heard s Naim amp in my system. Must get my 34 out from under the bed !

13. TonyScarlett

TonyScarlett pfm Member

Had Stirling V2s, now have V3s. I have used a Khozmo passive/Leak Stereo 20, Ion Obelisk 3, Quad 33/303, Rotel A10 & currently using a Naim Nait 5si.
    They all sound excellent in there own way. My experience is that the LS3/5A & close relatives are amongst the most amp agnostic speakers you can buy.
    A couple of others I would love to try are a Sugden A21 & Radford ST15 or 25
    TS

Panderos and ampedup like this.
  14. Ianp

Ianp pfm Member

Amp agnostic is s great term ! Same here re: sugden.

Never mind a hi fi show, we should have an LS3/5a show ! :)

TonyScarlett likes this.
  15. Nagraboy

Nagraboy Ausculta fili

The Sugden A1ap power amp version is a good choice. You get the Sugden A21 sound plus you can use a fancy preamp to maximise the performance. I had a Nagra PL-P at the same time which is so adjustable it works with anything. Also tried it with a Croft 25R which worked well.

TonyScarlett likes this.
  16. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Yes, that fits with my findings too. I think the key factor here is they are an easy load and therefore one only needs a decent amp, not a decent powerful amp which is far harder to find IME. The lack of efficiency just doesn’t matter as no one would want to crank such a tiny little speaker up loud, so really a good 10-15 Watts is all you need, hence folk liking Leaks, Quad IIs, Lebens, Naits, Sugdens, low output Pass etc (my Aleph 3 will only be 15 Watts into 16 Ohms, it’s 30 into 8).

Panderos, TonyScarlett and Ianp like this.
  17. Ianp

Ianp pfm Member

And bottom line currently listening with the Croft/,303 combo is that I can't imagine enjoying them more with anything else.

Apart from the fun factor of course.

TonyScarlett likes this.
  18. TonyScarlett

TonyScarlett pfm Member

The Graham audio LS3/5 variants also have crossovers designed by Derek Hughs iirc.

19. raysablade

raysablade pfm Member

Sugden A21SE Signature with my Gold Badge Q7s. Getting them on 70cm stands was the icing on the hardware cake.

I can only imagine room tweaks being necessary for the the foreseeable future.

20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I ran a gain-reduced Croft 25R with my 303 for a while and loved it, very similar to my current Verdier/303. With the right speakers, and LS3/5As certainly count, it does all I need and more. It sounds superb and just gets out of the way and allows the music to do its thing unhindered. I’ve run a valve pre/303 combo for at least a decade now and out of all the amps I have it is what I’d keep if I slimmed down to one system.