advertisement

LPs with Hi-Fi on the cover

Me and the system have survived the storm. I was looking at a bit of kit on the back of an album and thought: This will make a (good) thread.

Here are a couple for starters, one of which is on the TT as I write.

Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood - SME Series II on back of sleeve.
Art of Noise - Below the Waste - B&W Emphasis on the front of sleeve. I saw a pair of these in an emporium in Singapore a few years ago. Very pretty.

Mick

What a splendidly geeky thread!

The Jetstar compliation series used to feature (and credit) a Mitchell Gyrodeck up to vol 5. Sadly from vol 6 the cover underwent a naff redesign featuring a sprinkling of, you've guessed it, CDs...

Morcheeba's Big Calm has a Transcriptors Hydraulic Ref with Vestigial arm and what looks like a Rotel reciever on the front.

Tony.

I think it's Billy Taylor or Cecil Taylor, it has a proper US style 50s amp on the cover, possibly other bits. One of you experts in jazz must know the album.

Paul

Originally posted by Tony L
Morcheeba's Big Calm has a Transcriptors Hydraulic Ref with Vestigial arm and what looks like a Rotel reciever on the front.

Tony.

Aha - but Morcheeba ripped off Ray Connif (what the HELL is HIS system - check out the size - it's a gatefold sleeve and the damn radiogram goes right the way across - you're only looking at about 2/5 the length of the thing:

Note I didn't buy the Ray Conniff for the music - my mate Ali didn't believe me when I told her Morcheeba'd ripped their album cover off of someone else (I stumbled over the Ray Conniff in MVE for a ridiculous £15 and even I, as a Gemini, won't pay that much to win a bet - I got my copy for a quid in Oxfam instead!).

Whale's "We care" 12 inch has a tape on the cover...

Neil's heavy concept album (yes - THAT Neil - oh heavy man don't bring me down and hassle me Neil) has a ghettoblaster on the front - which has a timer and record level on it so almost counts as hifi :)

Nuisance - Menswe@r - B&O TV on the cover
Stone Roses remixes - Technics paint-spattered 1210 on cover

I'm sure there's a CD I've seen that has one of those B&W horn speakers - not the Nautilus ones but the other type - but I can't remember what it's called.

Ok, not a picture, but Nazareth:s Sound Elixir has a text that goes something like: "Linn and Naim sound system supplied by xxx". xxx I think was the then (still?) Canadian importer.

JohanR

On Dave Brubeck:s "A Cut Above" on Sheffield Lab, the artist is running around on a stamper disc (I think it's called that, it's the 'negative' disc that is cast from the master, the grooves are hills) with a special Stanton cart, designed to actually play this negative disc, hovering above him!

JohanR

Does this count?

heat.jpg

Paul

advertisement

Back