advertisement

LPs and the environment

Certainly not if you buy one of the squillions of 2nd hand records out there. As the article says, streaming's not exactly carbon free, either.

Apart from the fact that the article contains great chunks of total and utter bollox you mean?

Why do non-technical publications insist on sending non-technical journos to report anything that actually needs some kind of science knowledge/background?

One example - carcinogens in LP PVC. What are they? Presumably they are referring to phthalate plasticisers? If so, LPs are unplasticised.

Saw a documentary that included an interview with the Daily Telegraph science correspondent. It was obvious that he didn't have a clue about anything, he'd been given science as some sort of penance. I'd imagine that the Guardian is just the same as they are mirror images of each other.

If we're to truly take climate change seriously then we need an Office of Carbon Truth, independent of the government, who will properly add up the carbon cost of everything we do. Is it better to work from home or go to an office by car/train/bicycle? Is it better to keep a car going until it turns to a pile of rust or buy a new one that claims to be more economical? Is FM better than DAB - I think I know the answer to that one. Is it better to buy meat that is local or some exotic fruit that's come half way around the world?

If we're to truly take climate change seriously then we need an Office of Carbon Truth, independent of the government, who will properly add up the carbon cost of everything we do.

I'd second that, a balanced overview of all activities is very much required so we can make the right decisions.

Regards

Richard

All the points made in the article could just as easily be applied to newspapers and 24hr news streaming.
But then the music industry doesn't pay for the writer to fly around the world to stand outside a closed gate and say "nobody will talk to me"
At least music brings people joy however they consume it.

All the points made in the article could just as easily be applied to newspapers and 24hr news streaming.
But then the music industry doesn't pay for the writer to fly around the world to stand outside a closed gate and say "nobody will talk to me"
At least music brings people joy however they consume it.

well paper can easily be recycled, has been done for ages ( I remember as a kid taking bundles of news papers/clothes down to the salvage yard [ Steptoe & Son] and get a few £s in return) eg the loo rolls you can buy made from recycled paper.

I thought it an interesting article and the thrust was not that LP production was a bad thing but that Streaming wasnt neutral?

I wonder which is the most easy to recycle - LPs or CDs/DVDs/Blue Rays? LPS are just plastic woith a paper label, where as CDs etc are complicated having an internal metal layer? plus plastic and some kind of external hard coating?

Apart from the fact that the article contains great chunks of total and utter bollox you mean?

Why do non-technical publications insist on sending non-technical journos to report anything that actually needs some kind of science knowledge/background?

One example - carcinogens in LP PVC. What are they? Presumably they are referring to phthalate plasticisers? If so, LPs are unplasticised.

Vinyl chloride is accepted to be a carcinogen in most parts of the world. Dioxins will also be released during manufacture, as too will compounds such as chloroethene. PVCs have a variety of unpleasant additives depending on the end product as well.

ps we've had a thread on this subject in the off topic toom for a while - there's the considerable energy cost of pressing vinyl discs

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/should-we-be-buying-new-vinyl.230294/

The carbon and water footprint of thumbdrives is surprising. There is a silicon wafer plant near me that uses incredible quantities of water.

Vinyl chloride is accepted to be a carcinogen in most parts of the world. Dioxins will also be released during manufacture, as too will compounds such as chloroethene. PVCs have a variety of unpleasant additives depending on the end product as well.

ps we've had a thread on this subject in the off topic toom for a while - there's the considerable energy cost of pressing vinyl discs

Almost correct (not).

How much residual monomer in a PVC LP? Essentially none. The statement was specifically about LPs, not their manufacture or anything else. PVC for LPs has one additive - carbon black (high grade soot) if they are black, other dyes/pigments or none if not black.

Plasticised PVC is an approved food packaging, for food contact.

Almost correct (not).

How much residual monomer in a PVC LP? Essentially none. The statement was specifically about LPs, not their manufacture or anything else. PVC for LPs has one additive - carbon black (high grade soot) if they are black, other dyes/pigments or none if not black.

Plasticised PVC is an approved food packaging, for food contact.

The Guardian article was talking about manufacture, hence my comment. There is residual VC in PVC and is the subject of scientific study, the fear is that it is above permissible levels. As I already said there are different additives for different applications but PVC is a hard material in its pure form. You should question why the journalist wasn't shown what was going on, not the intelligence of the messenger.

The nitro finishes are a tad dodgy and they were caught with stocks of contraband wood however, I doubt in the big scheme of things, the old LP is that much of a problem pollution wise.

The nitro finishes are a tad dodgy and they were caught with stocks of contraband wood however, I doubt in the big scheme of things, the old LP is that much of a problem pollution wise.

Many people have died of cancer over the years from industrial exposure to VC. It's certainly a concern that PVC being made in Thailand under secretive conditions

advertisement

Back