Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] LP12 with Aro or Aro on it’s own.

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Colin131, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

Yeah especially my friend ruined a troika with an Aro by hand cueing on one of those kind of nights!

2. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

Thanks this is encouraging!

3. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

I see what you mean. It’s better to have more clearance but still I’d prefer not to cut the brace due to the reasons I’ve mentioned. I’m not so great at diy either and might mess it up too!
    It is possible to adjust the position of the suspension in one direction a little bit. I know it should ideally be central on every spring but it’s quite difficult to get that spot on anyway. I think it should be possible to adjust the suspension so the armboard/arm is away enough from that back right corner brace.

btw if anyone has an older Linn armboard in Rega fitting please let me know. I haven’t liked the sound of these more modern multi sandwich armboards Linn make nowadays.

4. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Honestly, either fit the arm properly or don't bother.

And if you're talking about the very old non-laminated armboards I would avoid those too. Unless you enjoy not having your arm parallel to your records.

5. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

I’ll see how I get on first thanks and report on the score. It’s often better to see the situation for real first before diving straight in.

I’m talking about the multi layer MDF sandwich armboards. Sounds more digital like to me. I tested a lot of different arm boards once, although it was with Linn arms. I liked the single layer Top and bottom laminated MDF armboard best. I’m not talking about the even older plywood ones.

6. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Ah, I see. I understand what you are saying. I didn't like the direction Linn took the LP12 either. I was going to say from the Cirkus but I actually didn't like the Lingo either.

7. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

Yeah I agree with you the other main Lp12 upgrades too starting from the Lingo psu in 1990. More neutral and more detail than the Valhalla but made the sound much drier, lighter and much more CD like i.e less enjoyable. Similar thing with the cirkus. Never tried the lingo 2 although it’s reputed to be better than the Mk1. I understand the radikal is good but of course £££.

Pre cirkus LP12 it is for me. I’ve tried several pre cirkus and cirkus Lp12s in the past and enjoyed the pre cirkus decks much more. Not the last word in some areas but v musical/lyrical and a great listen. The character of the pre cirkus deck probably suits the Aro more too (and probably the Nima as well) as the heavier but musical pre cirkus LP12 character interacts well with the generally lighter sound of those arms.. I heard an Aro on a cirkus LP12 once and though it sounded fat too thin compared to an Aro on a pre cirkus LP12.

Not sure about the newer upgrades. Kore/keel etc as I’ve never tried them. We’ll have to wait a while for opinions of the karousel as dealers are not installing at the mo.

Mr Pig likes this.
  8. adamski505

adamski505 Active Member

i thought the kore an excellent investment.
    i think it was 800 quid at the time, not cheap but it was a clear upgrade...

9. lencotweaker

lencotweaker Mostly dreaming of record players

I fitted a Cirkus kit to my pre-Cirkus LP12/Nima/ Hercules last week and found it a very good improvement. Lower noise floor and a bit more detail but not at the expense of the bouncy Linn sound really. Worthwhile in my view and given that Cirkus sets have come down in price recently its value for money too.

I’ve done this same upgrade many years ago to an LP12 with Aro and Armageddon deck and found the same fundamental improvement so it’s consistent too.

tenpercenter likes this.