Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] LP12 with Aro or Aro on it’s own.

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Colin131, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

Thanks for the info. Well it’s worth a go for sure. I like the way it has a cueing device as standard. It’s possible to have accidents hand cueing the standard Aro.
    Whether Signald is still operating online at the moment is another question. If I ordered it it now it might not arrive for 6 months! Need to check first!

2. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

I have never hand cued anything, and the very thought makes me shudder.

3. scotty38

scotty38 pfm Member

They're Rega fitting.

4. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

If you have the big corner braces then yes, you need to cut a bit out of the brace but it's easy enough to do and any competent fitter will do it for you. Or you can do it yourself, because it's easy. Very easy.

5. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

Thanks for the info. Any ideas how I know if I have big or smaller corner braces? My LP12 is serial no 60000 ish. I think the Nima needs a rega armboard is a a bit longer than Linn arms, which would explain this issue.

6. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

Yeah I worked that out myself from the effective length. It’s a shame. I don’t fancy cutting some parts off my LP12. Would decrease the value too.

7. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

If you look down the side of the armboard you can see it. And it won't devalue the deck. It's such a common thing, no one cares. Linn should've done it out of the box but they don't like admitting that people fit other arms to their decks.

8. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

There is at least one list online that details every mod' to the LP12 and the year and serial number that it was introduced at.
    The list that I have mentions no first introduction of corner braces, but does mention larger ones at serial 53000, 1984.

The serial of my LP12 is 49792 (made late 1983 or more probably early 1984), and has small corner braces.

9. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

You can see them! You don't need to ask the internet, just look at the thing.

10. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Perfect, if you happen to know how small the small one is and the how large the large one is...……………………………………...

11. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

The small one is barely visible, looks like nothing there. The big one cuts across the corner about an inch at least.

12. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

Thanks guys. I had a look and have the large ones so am reluctant. I wonder at what serial no the small ones were introduced. I didn’t realise there were decks with small braces as well as it’s not on the update list (as you say Vinny). So please excuse the not entirely accurate info. Wish I still had that 39*** deck right now as it would have had either small or no braces.

Any ideas how much of the big brace I’d have to file down? A lot or only a little?

13. Mynamemynaim

Mynamemynaim 38yrs a Naim owner

Not sure how you could miss it...
    It's on the used items for sale page?

14. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

I wasn’t aware
    its ok I’ve seen it now. I searched into google. Thanks.

15. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Once the armboard and the base-plate are off there is nothing above of below the brace. You can then use a hacksaw blade to cut a notch out of the brace. It's a thin bit of wood so takes seconds.

If you cut parallel to the sides of the plinth and start the cuts about 50mm that'll be plenty.

16. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

Thanks for the instructions. I’ll have to have a think. It would be hassle and pricey for a while but I might try to find another older Lp12 without the bracing or small corner braces to try out the Nima to get a gauge of the sound. I still don’t fancy hacking bolts off an LP12 that I probably don’t intend to keep anyway as buyers might complain about it.

I’ve bought the Nima anyway. It seemed like a good deal.

cheers
    Colin

17. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

That's a lot more aggravation than just cutting the brace. No one would complain about it. All of the new aftermarket plinths I've seen have that brace cut out from new, people still buy them. It's a non issue.

Also, if you try the arm on a totally different deck you won't be sure of which differences are the arm and which are the deck.

18. lencotweaker

lencotweaker Mostly dreaming of record players

I’ve got a braced plinth and fitted a Nima recently in a new Linn armboard for a Rega but did not have to shave the corner brace. There is still a few mm clearance and it does not compromise the suspension in any way.

19. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

It might hit the brace or might not but it's sufficiently close that you don't want to assemble the deck and then find once you've set it all up that it touches. It's better to have plenty of clearance by cutting the brace.

20. adamski505

adamski505 Active Member

especially after a bevy...

Vinny likes this.