Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] LP12 with Aro or Aro on it’s own.

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Colin131, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

I do think the corner-braced plinths sound a little better but he main thing is that they're more stable. Older plinths can twist and separate at the corners. The braced ones never seem to budge.

There is a whole world of excitement to be found in figuring out which LP12 parts will fit with which other ones. Not sorry to have left that game behind.

2. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

You’ve got more than a few arms. Thanks for the info! Never tried the Stogi and many of the other like the missions and PU2/3. Always wanted to try the Zeta in the past but never got around it. Defo want to try that one (although you need a low compliance cart). I had a PU7 in the past and whilst it was very big sounding I found it a little overblown on the LP12 or Orbe. I preferred the Ittok on the LP12. TT/ Cart matching makes a big difference though with any arm.

I’ve never tried a Xerxes either (as well as PT). That’s another one is really like to try. The problem with armboard sag always put me off. can you fine tune the speed on the Xerxes?

3. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Linn's current prices are so crazy that it has had a knock-on effect for the older bits. The current Akito is what, £1500 ? Linn are pricing themselves right out of the game. They have a very loyal following but how long before people start to realise this stuff just isn't worth it?

4. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

People must still be buying the stuff I guess, even at those crazy prices. Linn do it because they can. Like you say though, I’m not sure how long it will last. Having said that I was reading these kind of conversations more than 15 years ago and it’s got progressively worse and might still do!

5. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

You’re right about the corner bracing. The earlier LP12 I owned had a slightly warped plinth.

What deck do you have now?

Someone offered me a SP10 in a decent plinth with Jelco 750 arm for £700 about 5 years ago. Really wish I had bought that. Prices are have gone up so much. The Garrard 301 is another one I’d like to have got before prices went crazy. Having said that it’s nothing like as bad as Linn’s new prices!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  6. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

I have a Rega RP10 just now. Feels rather plasticy compared to an LP12, and most other decks, because..it's made of plastic! Not sure how long I'll keep it.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing eh? I sold a mint, boxed Ittok for £240. A Naim Nait2 for £140.

7. Mynamemynaim

Mynamemynaim 38yrs a Naim owner

No I believe sales have slowed down considerably and Linn have made a loss this last year..

The new bearing may have come at a much needed time...

8. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

I heard the P9 before and thought it was pretty good, but I guess those regas just don’t quite have the charm and status of some of the other decks. Can understand you wanting to change it soon.

Yeah I remember those days. I bought a used Valhalla LP12 with Ittok in good condition for £250 in 1996! I sold it on for three times the price in 2008 but it might have fetch doubled that again right now!

9. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

Didn’t know that re Linn. Well it’s about time really. It already went too far many years ago. How can a company charge £50 for a new belt for example.

That new bearing looks a bit interesting. Will look out for reviews. I guess it only fits a cirkus subchassis or above (or you’d have to buy a Majik Kore subchassis, or Keel)

10. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

To be honest, it's just not justifying itself. I've bought and sold a bunch of P1 turntables and I enjoy spinning records on one of those just as much as the RP10! Sure, you're missing some things but those little Regas are really enjoyable. So I'm thinking, do I really need something like the RP10? I could sell it, buy a Rega half the price and free up a grand to spend on something else.

It doesn't fit the Cirkus subchassis. It's a new size, again, so you need a new subchassis to go with it. This comes in the new bearing kit.

You also may need a new PSU as the new bearing is thicker so isn't compatible with most of the internal LP12 power supplies.

11. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

The karousel absolutely fits the cirkus subchassis and all those since.

Mynamemynaim likes this.
  12. lencotweaker

lencotweaker Mostly dreaming of record players

The Karousel bearing set does not come with a new subchassis but fits the Linn Cirkus, Majik, Kore and Keel subchassis

13. wylton

wylton Naim and Mana member

Probably, we shouldn't discuss it here, given that this is the classified room, but TBH, I'm a bit puzzled as to how you suddenly went so anti-Linn after all these years, went really hot on the Rega RP10 and now seemingly so cold.

14. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

I suppose the short answer is that I got bored of the Linn...everything.

I just wasn't enjoying the LP12 very much. I was choosing to play CDs most of the time. Don't get me wrong, on the right recording the LP12 was still good but those records are in the minority. Lots of my records just never got played while my CD player plays everything.

I buy, repair and sell turntables and I was struck by how the little Rega P1 was so easy to live with it. Not fussy about record quality, always bouncy and fun, exactly as I think playing records should be.

I called a couple of Linn dealers to ask their advice but, as you can probably imagine, the answer is always the same. Spend money on the Linn, a lot of money. I literally put the phone down and thought 'this thing has to go'.

So I bought the best turntable Rega made, figuring it would just be a better version of the P1. Technically, it is so far ahead of the LP12 that I couldn't go back but I find that it lacks the warmth and 'humanity' that makes vinyl what it is. If I can find a cart and set up that mellows it I'll be happy to keep it but I'm reluctant to put a lot more money into it when I know how musical a massively cheaper Rega turntable can be. I suspect there is a sweet spot in the Rega range, a turntable which offers a perfect blend of musicality and resolution, I just don't know what it is!

We'll see. I'm not in any hurry to get rid of the RP10, it has phenomenal potential, but I know I could happily live with much less.

15. Mynamemynaim

Mynamemynaim 38yrs a Naim owner

Anyway
    Really nice unipivot on signals website for peanuts....
    Worth a look!

16. wylton

wylton Naim and Mana member

Thanks for the honest answer; I'd love to continue the discussion, but lets do it in the other room: Perfect blend of musicality and resolution?

17. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

Couldn’t find the one you mentioned!

18. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Nima?

19. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

Thanks. Looks good. It might not be quite as good as the Aro but it’s worth trying for a lot less ££. The only problem is my LP12 has corner bracing and I don’t fancy shaving some off! If I had a non corner braced plinth I’d be right on it.
    Do you need LP12 armboard for Rega arms too to fit it?

20. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

My LP12 has corner bracing and a Nima fitted fine with no mod's to the brace.

Armboard? Now I am struggling to remember but suspect that the Nima is a Linn fitting. Don't quote me, just take a look on the Roksan website.