advertisement

LP12 why is it so divisive - discuss.

ittok vs aro is a funny one since they both have strengths in different areas.

just get an ekos and be unequivocally smug.

FWIW when I listened to the Aro v Ekos I owned an Ittok at that time. For the dem myself and a good mate, Steve, who is also a great guitarist, but not into hi-fi, came along for the ride.

We played a few tracks on the Ittok and then tried the same tracks on the Aro. The musical flow was not so good and there was a 'not seeing the wood for the trees' sort of feel about the music. We then tried the Ekos and this sounded like a better Ittok.

It didn't take too long for us both to agree that the Ittok was good the Aro was a bit strange and the Ekos was very good.

I am quite prepared to believe that the Aro was faulty or not set up well but at the end of the day we heard what we heard and I bought the Ekos.

I have heard many people since say that the Aro has more musical flow than even the Ekos, so the dem that I had began to make me wonder a bit. On this one it really must be a case of YMMV.

Sorry guys, I seem not to have sent off an earlier post by mistake.

If I understand you correctly, Andrew, you are about to get a Rubikon for Aro installed on your deck. I'm assuming that you intend to discuss the Ittok/Aro difference in the context of your Rubikon and would feel more comfortable if this was posted in the trade section as effectively, you'd be announcing the availability of your product, and presumably discuss its performance.

If I'm getting this wrong and you will be talking about arms mounted on standard linn subchassis and armboards, I'm happy with the discussion in audio, of course.

Sorry guys, I seem not to have sent off an earlier post by mistake.

If I understand you correctly, Andrew, you are about to get a Rubikon for Aro installed on your deck. I'm assuming that you intend to discuss the Ittok/Aro difference in the context of your Rubikon and would feel more comfortable if this was posted in the trade section as effectively, you'd be announcing the availability of your product, and presumably discuss its performance.

If I'm getting this wrong and you will be talking about arms mounted on standard linn subchassis and armboards, I'm happy with the discussion in audio, of course.

Markus.

The Aro will go onto my deck in a RubiKon for Aro replacing an Ittok on a RubiKon for Linn. If this is too trade then I'll not proceeed discussing the differences between the Aro and the Linn on here.

Regards.

I think that dressing the arm lead cable on an ARO is a bugger of a job. I've found it's difficult to remove the arm lead clamp and then to refit, and difficult to make sure that each cable has an identical degree of slack.

I discovered that my own ARO's cables had not been properly dressed by a dealer. It had the same degree of slack as with Linn arms, and since the ARO's leads are quite thick and stiff, this is too tight, and pulls the suspension leftwards. Once this was done correctly, the improvement was huge. I wonder if this may be why so many people don't like the ARO?

I think Andrew's ARO will be fitted by an expert, so his comments are eagerly awaited by me.

hi all

i bought my 1st LP12 in 1985 - with an entry level LVX arm it was £400. Just checked the UK inflation rates and this equates to £920 in today's money - or the price of say a decent cheapish naim CD player. Current list for a Linn majik is £2300.

in 88 I wanted to buy an LP12 with Ittok. Price was £800. This equates to £1600 in todays money, so a bit less then a CDX, which some would argue is a similar level of performance. These days an Ekos alone is £3,500. I know it's better but it is the only arm upgrade Linn offer for the LP12.

As an earlier post stated, in the 80s people could aspire to an LP12/Ittok/Troika. In today's money it would be around £2k and was held by many to be one of the best souces you could buy.

The top line LP12 today would be about £15k. Simply silly money for most.

Phil

i think linn state that the akito2 is better than old ittoks.
i thought the majik was discontinued too.

isn't the aro discontinued?

At least it will be a meaningful and level playing field; RubiKon/TikTok RubiKon/Aro

Game on!

It will be level as long as the tonearm is the only variable being changed, yes. But, if the Aro gets a fresh cartridge, new plinth, different/better support along the way, no. Of course the comparison will be in the context of using the Rubikon sub-chassis with both as well with a modified Ittok which I'm sure is different from a stock Ittok.

An interesting comparison none the less. I'm sure we'll all hear about Andrew's new setup and how he likes it regardless of whether he discusses it as a comparison. If he goes back to using the Ittok, we'll all know how the Aro faired.

advertisement

Back