advertisement

LP12 why is it so divisive - discuss.

Never had a problem with ARO once I get a hang of it.
This, however, with its rotating head shell gives me willy...
121-2130_IMG.jpg

I know someone who uses it with a bouncy bouncy LP12.
Now that's courage!

Yowsa!

Kuma, just for clarity I'm perfectly comfortable cueing my ARO anywhere on or off the record. I just find that it's somewhat less easy than an Ittok, and hence my cautionary description to those considering a change from gimballed arms.

Never had a problem with ARO once I get a hang of it.
This, however, with its rotating head shell gives me willy...
121-2130_IMG.jpg

I know someone how uses it with a bouncy bouncy LP12.
Now that's courage!

Kuma,

How do you like the sound of the RS tonearm compared to gimbelled arms?

regards,

dave

Kuma,
I love the look of your LP12. Have you french polished the plinth or did it come that way? What armboard is on there, I don't recognise it? I took my first Linn apart and french polished the plinth, I would love to do it to my current LP12 but I don't know if I want to spend another 2 weeks of life in the workshed every night gently and lovingly rubbing on layers of polish! That was definitely a labour of love!

Flatearther,

An automotive lacquer was applied to the plinth. Not French polish.

The arm board is a current stock one with a different typography from the old one. It was supplied from Linn pre-drilled for the ARO. They actually did a better job drilling than Naim did when I compared to the old arm board that came with the ARO.
I decided to get a new one when it was rebuilt last year.

Also nice to see the Aro, I love the sound my LP12 and Aro make with my Troika. To my ears the natural tone and dynamics made it a definite upgrade over my Ekos.
It's really a shame Naim stopped making the arm. Works wonderfully with the Troika I know.

Anyways, I agree. Naimed Linn sounds more natural to me. It's not SOTA, it's not uber-fi, but works for me day in and day out.

I always thought the taller finger lift of the Aro was a nice feature for cueing but could see how it might actually be too tall for many users who wanted to rest their hand on the plinth when cueing. Maybe someone could make a shorter one that's more suitable.

I rest my wrist on a plinth to stabilise my hand holding the *hook* with a middle finger and thumb.

I had to think about a minute before I typed above.:p

If I wanted to get to a last track I rest my arm somewhere between the wrist and the elbow on the plinth to get a stable long reach.

So far no accidents.

I've seen many folks flatten the finger lift but I found it is more hazardous and counter intuitive. ( for me )

Dave,

I've only heard the RS1 at the show so can't make heads and tails out of it how it actually sounds.
One thing for sure.
For folks who living in California should not have one.

Speaking of an RS1, how many folks here heard the Be Yamamura turntable?
Yamamura%2BChurchill%2BJ.jpg

Now that's cool.

I rest my wrist on a plinth to stabilise my hand holding the *hook* with a middle finger and thumb.

I had to think about a minute before I type above.:p
Ahhh, that's slightly different from mine in that I form a sideways hook with my middle finger (look ma, no thumbs) and cradle the ARO hook, which keeps the azimuth vertical in my case. I might try your technique tonight. Snigger.

For folks who living in California should not have one.
I'm led to believe that unipivots are more immune to (minor) earthquakes, if that is what you mean.

James,

I use a thumb only to prevent the arm sliding off my finger esp. trying to reach inner tracks.

I'm led to believe that unipivots are more immune to (minor) earthquakes, if that is what you mean.
I meant it for RS1 tonearm. Not only it has a wobbly headshell that rotates, its arm base is not mounted to anything. It's simply plonked down on a table. (or on an arm board in case of LP12 )

Better lay off alcohol AND caffeine. :x

I use an Ekos and hardly ever use the lift/cue device, unless I've had a few to drink. This is one of the reasons that I didn't go for the Aro. The other , main reason, is that on an A/B dem the Ekos beat the Aro and it made sense to spend the extra on the Linn arm.

I use an Ekos and hardly ever use the lift/cue device, unless I've had a few to drink. This is one of the reasons that I didn't go for the Aro. The other , main reason, is that on an A/B dem the Ekos beat the Aro and it made sense to spend the extra on the Linn arm.
Bob, did you dem the two arms in the context of your preferred IBLs or some other setting?

I'm quietly confident of the result, which sees yet another ARO love affair. ;)

My love affair with Ittok lasted a month. ( a drive by shooting was more like it ) :p

In truth, it was probably mainly due to a cartridge mismatch.

Interesting, I just cued up a record, and had to go back and do it again to see how I actually did it. I rest the pinkie side of my hand on the plinth and use my index finger to cue.

I always thought the taller finger lift of the Aro was a nice feature for cueing but could see how it might actually be too tall for many users who wanted to rest their hand on the plinth when cueing. Maybe someone could make a shorter one that's more suitable.

Check out this Aro finger lift.

http://hu.fzk.de/hu/hifi/naim/photos/Anlage2011-dias-fingerlift-01.jpg

Forget the finger lift - look at the entire deck :)

http://hu.fzk.de/hu/hifi/naim/photos/Anlage2008-dias-wandhalterung-03-small.jpg

advertisement

Back