advertisement

LP12 vs 1200GR

Ammonite arm boards for Technics are really nice. I've got one here and although I haven't got around to installing it yet, you can feel the quality.

They've also supplied me with a Jelco collar which was beautiful. Shuggie's your man.

If I stuck a pair of Tannoy Westminster in my box room then it wouldn't matter what the source is. As the room is the constant I'd be ensuring what was making the noise wasn't serving up bloated or tinny mess - that includes the amp.

Noo source first!

Just been into my local excellent Rega dealer to ask if they could fit a Rega arm to my 1210GR if I supply an Ammonite arm board and was told that they can indeed do so.

The next question is RB330 or RB880 and would this represent an improvement on the stock arm?

If I ever should change tonearm on a GR, I'd choose the best possible within my budget.
Sometime your lucky to find a B-stock RB3000 or 880 on the bay.
I have seen a G deck with a Jelco arm, thats the kind of kit I would bother with if it was me.

I think the stock arm is perfectly adequate if you're not too ambitious cartridge wise.

Wonder what you exactly mean by "not too ambitious" ?

Is that meant as a max budget or very expensive MC, say more than €1000 is too ambitious ?
Or MM only below €750 ?

Wonder what you exactly mean by "not too ambitious" ?

Is that meant as a max budget or very expensive MC, say more than €1000 is too ambitious ?
Or MM only below €750 ?

I would say say high end cartridges in the £2000 plus range especially lower compliance.
You could experiment of course but personally I would stick with top quality moving magnet carts for the GR or with MCs, carts like the AT range and the Hana SL and ML which I have myself.

I'm going to mount the SL in the near future on my GR, don't think I'll try the ML as that is staying on my Voyd SMEV.

Can I ask if you got around to trying a Hana on your GR and if so how it compared to the AT33ev?

I haven't got round to getting my GR back out of it's box for the last few months.
But I did compare the 33ev vs the SL in my Genesis turntable and Modded RB 250.
Much prefer the SL overall plus it has better tracking across the record than the at33ev.

I'm planning on getting my GR out of retirement very soon though.

advertisement

Back