advertisement

LP12 Stick or Twist?

taffyboy1

pfm Member
I still have my original new LP12 bought around 1985 which has an LV2 Ittok/dv20 MC with a Cirkus bearing driven by Avondale PSU.

compared to todays non suspended design e.g Rega RP6/8 how does it compare?

only reason I ask is I am conscious of having LP12 set up every few years as opposed to non suspended designs, and wondered how latest non suspended designs compare?

or is there nothing to touch it at Rega price range ?

Thanks in advance

I'm glad I stuck with my LP12,it had been neglected for a little too long, but new springs, grommets belt and a set up, its singing again,I enjoyed the RP6 and I listen to my mates RP10 quite regularly, the Linn competes to my ears' thought the RP6 lacked some cohesion, and the information was almost spotlit and didn't gel like my Linn does,Ive come to the conclusion after owning the deck for 30 yrs I just like the noise it makes

I'm sure someone on PFM can recommend a competent engineer, mine sounds loads better, tighter and perkier than it has for years good luck

I’d keep it pretty much as is. Will compete with either of the Regas. You could do a few modest upgrades, sub chassis or bearing but not sure you need to.

I'm glad I stuck with my LP12,it had been neglected for a little too long, but new springs, grommets belt and a set up, its singing again,I enjoyed the RP6 and I listen to my mates RP10 quite regularly, the Linn competes to my ears' thought the RP6 lacked some cohesion, and the information was almost spotlit and didn't gel like my Linn does,Ive come to the conclusion after owning the deck for 30 yrs I just like the noise it makes
I feel the same :)

I bought a Rega RP10 for exactly these reasons. I was sick of the finickiness on the LP12 and wanted a simple, good sounding record player.

I'm back with the LP12! In fact I have two of them. I've heard turntables that beat the Linn in lots of different areas of performance but nothing connects me to the music in the way an LP12 does.

In Hi-Fi terms, yes, you can beat an LP12. In musical involvement terms, tricky. I'd keep the fruit-box and maybe throw a few upgrades at it if you're bored. You shouldn't have to get it set up every few years by the way. An oil change and clean the drive surfaces, diy jobs, and it should be fine for ages.

I still have my 79 LP12, it has been regularly updated and in fact, is just back from being serviced by John K at Audio-T in Brighton, who is as good as anyone at setting up an LP12. Mine is sounding really good again and the next upgrade could well be getting a Lingo to replace the Hercules. I have thought about buying a new entry-level Linn and swapping my Ittok over onto the new deck. Whilst it might sound slightly better doing this, I like the fact that I have had my turntable for over 40 years and it still sounds good, especially when returning from a service. I have thought about the RP6 or 8 but for now, will stick with my Linn.

Ionly reason I ask is I am conscious of having LP12 set up every few years as opposed to non suspended designs, and wondered how latest non suspended designs compare?
Should be fine for many years if properly setup. Might need a couple of drops of Linn oil every year or so.

i’d Upgrade the bearing to a karousel. Other upgrades eg sub chassis and power supply would also be worthwhile, but less essential, that is, if you’re generally happy with the sound of your existing configuration.
In my opinion the karousel is essential, and the difference it makes, shows that the circus has been holding the deck back, I.m.o. More information equals more realism, equals a more engaging sound. For me, a wow moment, though the price has risen since I got mine.

I have the same Avondale TAPS, an Aro and a DV20XL2. I upgraded subchassis (TA Plateau) & Karousel at the same time - the improvement was not subtle! Having said that, I thought it sounded pretty amazing beforehand. I’d be most surprised if a RP8 got anywhere near to the same performance.

I have thought about buying a new entry-level Linn and swapping my Ittok over onto the new deck.

The thing is, a lot of the big bits are effectively the same, or so similar it makes little difference. Plinth, lid, platter, top plate are not going to sound any better on a new deck. Motor is the same, armboard is pretty similar. I'd only buy a modern deck if it was going to work out cheaper than fitting upgrades to the old one.

I sold my LP12 7 or so years ago and have gone through a Lenco, Systemdek and now have a Thorens. The Thorens is the best and I won't change it but the difference isn't dramatically better.

Linn's are top turntables. A Rega may initially be better but not really. Keep the Linn.

If you take your LP12 to a dealer for a service, see if they'll demo a Rega (or whatever) against it, then you can make a more informed decision.

If I had the room and the budget I'd probably have half a dozen TTs but wouldn't give up my LP12, I just like the way it sounds!

Andy

I’ve only ever had non-suspended decks ( ERA/Rega/Nottingham Analogue). They just need to be level and solidly mounted to the earth. Ive enjoyed reading the saga of Linn Sondeks over the years but I don’t think not having one will ever have me wishing ‘ if only’. A solid platform is all you need so you can concentrate on all the vagaries of arms and carts. Whole thing contaminated with nostalgia IMHO;)

advertisement

Back