advertisement

LP12 makes front cover of Stereophile

The audiophile equivelant of a tractor (and nearly as expensive but less useful).

Arguably less pretty too.

I wanted Linn and Naim before I'd heard any of it. Thankfully, I do actually like the noise the LP12 makes and I do like the looks. It's not flashy, unless you know what it is it doesn't draw any attention to itself, and feels solid and tactile in use. I prefer un-fluted which is ironic considering my last two decks have been fluted.
Hey Mr Pig, I really value your posts. Yet that bit where you say "I do actually like the noise the LP12 makes" is my problem with it. Haven't read the Sterophile article but my guess is they like it because it has stopped doing the noise the LP12 used to make.
It is a very comfortable look though and I loved mine and even so I can't go back unless I get dead rich.

I've a mid 80's fluted afro with lovely figured diagonal grain and a mid 80's un-fluted rosewood, also with lovely grain. Both are by Greaves and both have the black painted lower plinth relief.

Yes, I think the black-painted skirt makes the plinth look more slender and elegant. More importantly, along with the flutes, the skirt makes it look more horizontal, and therefore stable, which is reassuring when you consider that at the slightest provocation it jumps around like a sun-stroked joey on a hot tin roof. That's why I put the flutes in the back of the Blackbird's death star thrust box - to continue that horizontal theme.

As a teenager that fluted, skirted, horizontal look grabbed me, along with the widely-heard opinion that it was the best, and I saved up for a used one which I still have four decades later. Fluted afro with black skirt is a style icon IMO. I even prefer the old Optima (Ariston!) logotype on the armboard as it's more reminiscent of woodcuts, Scandinavian craft minimalism and the 1970s.

onsondek4.jpg

It's good to see fluted back on the covers of magazines even if I wouldn't be so tempted to buy a new LP12 today.

LP12 just looks right to me. Lovely to use & sounds pretty fine. Still not done the Karousel/Kore upgrade, keep putting it off.

Just had the Karousel/Lingo 4 upgrade done last week...New belt and Collaro mat ...its a worthwhile improvement....still in the 'ffs! stage" .
I pushed to boat out properly this time,bought a Klimax DS/3 Katalyst as well!.
That's her kitchen well and truly in the long grass!.
My dealer says 'bring your KDS in and we'll let you hear what KDS Organik sounds like...

Yes, I think the black-painted skirt makes the plinth look more slender and elegant. More importantly, along with the flutes, the skirt makes it look more horizontal, and therefore stable, which is reassuring when you consider that at the slightest provocation it jumps around like a sun-stroked joey on a hot tin roof. That's why I put the flutes in the back of the Blackbird's death star thrust box - to continue that horizontal theme.

As a teenager that fluted, skirted, horizontal look grabbed me, along with the widely-heard opinion that it was the best, and I saved up for a used one which I still have four decades later. Fluted afro with black skirt is a style icon IMO. I even prefer the old Optima (Ariston!) logotype on the armboard as it's more reminiscent of woodcuts, Scandinavian craft minimalism and the 1970s.

It's good to see fluted back on the covers of magazines even if I wouldn't be so tempted to buy a new LP12 today.

I have read where you mention the black skirt and I have to say I agree. Shame Linn chose not to do the black skirt on their new plinths. Your deck looks real nice with the arm! Well done.

I owned two and enjoyed them but if form follows function then it and many others such as Thorens, Systemdek, Pink Triangle and others do look like a fruit box. One of those expressions once learned then very hard to unlearn. Skeletal designs divide opinion but would seem to contain only those parts needed to make it work per the designer’s decision choices.

I’m not talking about the sound of them, just how TTs look. Personally I like High end Rega, NA, Brinkmann, Michell and some others visually.

onsondek4.jpg

Sonddek

Totally concur about fluted LP12's and back in the mid 1980's and wanting one bad as a teenager.
I too thought that the Afromosia in that really washed out bleached wood was absolutely beautiful.And the combination of Ittok and Asak on it was something I aspired to.From listening at at my dealers and HiFI shows.
Threw saving up from jobs I got my first LP12 a teak fluted plinth with LVX and a Ortofon VMS20 on it.
Then part exed it for a black fluted one with Ittok and Karma.
When the Roksan Xerxes came out .I sold it as the Xerxes sounded better.Only to sell it as the power supply kept blowing up and the paint on the plinth was flaking in places.

The third and final LP12 which was given to me by a kind work mate 10 years ago who never used it as went streaming.Has been upgraded to Karousel and L4 and a Hana ML.

I know there are better decks out there but the LP12 is still a superb deck.

Last edited:
What are the specs of the two decks?

Afro. is black liner pre Circus, Sole VI sub-chassis, Rega RB 300 (all nice and shiny & internally rewired with copper silk covered Litz) with silver plated copper Van Damme external cables; AT 33PTG cartridge. Norton Airpower PS clone using a 60V/80V dual secondary custom built Canterbury windings Torroid and @Mike P's blue belt.

Rosewood is updated to standard Circus spec with refreshed Valhalla (by Darran@Class A) with Ittok LVIII/b and AT 33PTG. New Motors on both.

advertisement

Back