Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

LP12 Karousel Upgrade

Discussion in 'audio' started by Confirm74, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Guinnless

Guinnless pfm Member

BMW don't make wheel bearings, they buy them in from bearing manufacturers like SKF or Timken just like every other car manufacturer. These are mass produced needle roller bearings and nothing like the Karousel bearing that is much closer, in design, to the plain bearings used on crankshaft journals.

I've no intention of convincing you about Linn kit but your analogy was poor and vague.

Darren L likes this.
  2. Mr Pig

Mr Pig Trade: ^'- -'^

Well spank my arse with a wet kipper!

3. forester

forester pfm Member

Most practitioners charge for that service. You seem to be expecting it for free.

4. forester

forester pfm Member

I was going to ask how many manufacturers still supply parts to fit nearly fifty year old turntable, let alone a box for it, but actually how many of them are still in business?

5. sktn77a

sktn77a pfm Member

Well, the original LP12 is 50 years old, but nothing (NOWT!) on the current or recent LP12s is the same as it was on the original. So they aren't really making parts for a 50 year old turntable - maybe a 10-15 year old one.

6. Guinnless

Guinnless pfm Member

My LP12 is 32 years old and was fitted with a Karousel last year.

7. forester

forester pfm Member

True but if they were identical it wouldn't be any better than it was back then. The point is that it is possible to repair and maintain with genuine parts, to a known level of performance, with the manufacturers warranty, regardless of the age of the original deck. I think some of the screws and bolts are the same.

Mr Pig likes this.
  8. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

Not even the outer platter and top plate?

9. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

Every single part has seen some form of fine tuning or revision albeit completely retro fit able.

10. Mr Pig

Think the lid is the same too. And the motor?

11. cre009

cre009 pfm Member

Early outer platters were much heavier than the modern style platter which was introduced during the late 70s and I believe has been unchanged since. The inner platter was probably a slightly different fit and may have had a longer spindle. The modern outer platters will not fit onto the inner platter of my Castle Built twin button RD11 and I suspect this may also be the case for the early LP12 inner platter.

Top plates have had minor changes to do with the bolts and fitting. Don't know if the thickness has changed.

The lids were changed for new style hinges.

Motors have changed with different suppliers over time.

12. Mr Pig

I don't the platter weight has changed significantly? The only lighter platter I can think of was the Axis/Basik one. I've had very early and later platters and they seem the same weight to me.

13. cre009

cre009 pfm Member

The original weight of outer and inner platter combined was 4.1kg which was still wrongly being reported in Hi-Fi Choice editions during the 80's and in a Linn manual. I previously thought the 4.1kg was the modern weight but was corrected about this in another thread on this forum where the mass of the modern platters was being discussed and one of the other contributors weighed his. I believe the modern outer platters are around 0.6kg lighter than the early ones though my scales are not particularly accurate to be precise.

I have the outer platter from a Linn Basik which is very light compared with the LP12 platter.

14. Charlie_1

Charlie_1 pfm Member

15. cre009

cre009 pfm Member

I was not aware of the 2009 change. The change I was referring to was around 1976/77 from what I have read.