Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

LP12 Karousel Upgrade

Discussion in 'audio' started by Confirm74, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

I'll look forward to hearing what you think of it.

Miss Ariel likes this.
  2. Miss Ariel

Miss Ariel pfm Member

Thanks Mr Pig will definately post on how it sounds....the most expensive bearing I have brought in my life.... :D

3. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Empire State Human

It’s a superb upgrade. I went from Cirkus to Karousel last summer. Well worth it.

Mick

Miss Ariel likes this.
  4. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Yeah, you could buy seven good quality BMW car bearings for the price of one Karousel! Makes sense to audiophiles and no one else on earth.

linnfomaniac83 and Miss Ariel like this.
  5. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

What does that have to do with the price of fish?

6. matfff

matfff pfm Member

Couple of weeks!! What are they doing to it?

Miss Ariel likes this.
  7. Miss Ariel

Miss Ariel pfm Member

^^^
    Matfff
    They are also fitting a Majik sub chassis and waiting on parts to arrive.....All good things come to those who wait !

8. yentone

yentone pfm Member

Booked mine for April 29th. Can't wait!

9. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Considering the materials and manufacturing costs, the Karousel looks fairly expensive.

10. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

About 30 years ago I went active into isobariks with a top spec (at the time) LP12. Since then I have upgraded a number of times and the music has improved, better rhythm, better timing, more impact and dynamics.

But in 30 years I can’t say it’s got any clearer. I could hear everything that was there , or so I thought.

Just listening to She on the Sundays ‘static and silence’ and there are instruments playing now that I’ve never heard before.

Karousel really is a game changer

11. clownfish

clownfish It's all in the details

I’m assuming you don’t literally mean that you hadn’t heard these instruments before? I mean just how how bad could your LP12 be if it wasn’t playing the music?;)

Can you break it down a bit more? What are you hearing about these instruments now that you couldn’t decipher previously?

fegs likes this.
  12. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

It’s related to the dropping of the noise floor, stuff that was previously covered up.

I have this particular recording digitally also but the digital despite its technically superior snr is even more veiled.

Miss Ariel and clownfish like this.
  13. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

I doubt the BMW bearings would sound great on an LP12 though! :D

14. Guinnless

Guinnless pfm Member

So how much is a BMW seven bearing crankshaft and bearings?

15. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

I don't know. Are we going to do this all week? BMW making a turntable vs Linn making a car, what do you think?

16. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

Maybe so, but like all things hifi, I judge its value by how it sounds. It's worth every dollar I paid for mine.

17. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

I'm not disagreeing. If I had an LP12 I might well buy one too. I bought the Cirkus literally weeks after it came out. Doesn't mean it's not expensive for what it is in purely material terms.

linnfomaniac83 likes this.
  18. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

It is, I think the same can be said for the whole LP12... but it’s where I’ve come back to, and I’m not regretting it at all.

19. Guinnless

Guinnless pfm Member

You said you did on post #33. Seven bearings you said as used in their 6 cylinder engines.

Well it will be a lot more than a Karousel!

20. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

I didn't mention 6 cylinder engines. It was wheel bearings but really, who cares?

Look at Linn's pricing relative to other Hi-Fi manufacturers never mind car makers. How much is the RB3000? How much is the Ekos SE? How much is Linn's best LP12 power supply compared to...an entire P10? Rega lid, £50. Linn lid, £150. They charge you £85 for a fekin cardboard box!

I really don't know where you want to go with this but if the notion is to convince me that Linn kit is reasonably priced in material terms I'd forget it if I were you.