advertisement

Lp12 bearing oil type

If anyone wants to try a different / higher viscosity silicone fluid in their Cirkus bearing then PM me as I have loads of the 1000cst stuff, it works really well with a Geddon or Norton PSU.

I would check with a strobe that the speed is exactly the same.

Hi Mark,
I´ve no idea what the previous speed was anyway - all I know is that the bearing well looked a bit empty so I cleaned it out and recharged it. I´m not that finicky. Besides, was it right before ? I cannot remember ever checking the speed of my Linn since 1981 when I bought it. Norton Air Power rules ! and if not ignorance is a blessing. If it were way out, I like to think I would have noticed but anyway, I´m deaf.
There are so many variables in the chain........ at the moment I´m in the process of changing my metal film resistors in the tweeter circuit of my crossovers for Mills so what is smooth and what is "correct" ?

Cheers

I did receive a PM asking me if my comment regarding speed indicated that I was critical of the Audio Origami oil - that was not my intention. In fact I have no stance regarding the oil that AO sell as I don't really know it. My point (not very clearly made I appreciate) was that the viscosity of the oil does impact upon the speed of the platter. This may appear to go against AC motor theory but is easily verified by using an accurate strobe.

Sorry Chris, I wasn't implying that you are deaf - simply that small adjustments to the speed (which altering oil types can create) will impact upon apparent pace, rhythm etc. and subjective changes could be down to the oil directly or to speed changes that it's substitution has caused.

No offence taken, I can assure you Mark. Just a bit of light hearted banter. It´s my missus that says I´m deaf !

advertisement

Back