advertisement

Lp12 bearing oil type

rhgbristol

pfm Member
Can anybody clarify exactly what oil a gold coloured bearing with white lining needs?

I've read that the later black oil is not suitable for this bearing as it swells up the liner, but a few lp12 dealers I've spoken to have contradicting opinions as to the exact type and viscosity this bearing needs.

The deck it's in is serial number 24,xxx dating from 1979 - and it looks pretty original

Then it's Mobile Velocite 3 machine oil.

Personally, I use sewing machine oil. it's a lot easier to find. My Turntable is the same year as yours, by the way.

Velocite 6 or equivalent.

If you want to PM me your address I don't mind sending you some. I've got a fair amount.

Velocite 6 in is a copy of the Linn service manual.

Also noticed that it is the same that pops up on ebay and is also mentioned on the Russ Andrews site under Linn oil.

I think 6 has a higher viscosity than 3 - if I'm reading the specs correctly, but this isn't something I've specifically checked before.

Richard, I got your PM BTW. It should be on its way soon.

I have just used a vial of J7´s Booster oil and it sounds more relaxed and silky smooth but it might just be my imagination. Anyway, no need to count the drops - just bung it all in. Place a tissue around the well and let the inner spindle sink slowly down. Remove tissue. Job done.

Thanks for all the replies

I posted the same question today on the Linn forum - knowing sooner or later one of the LP12 'Guru' dealers would reply (Peter Swain and Colin Macey)

The official reply from one of them is now on the post - turns out nothing special - 3-in-1 is the recommendation from Linn by all accounts for this particular bearing.

So the snake can go back in the bag!! and the boiling pot taken off the heat.......

Colin's reply on the Linn posting is very interesting - he has showed a photo of what happens with the wrong oil long term - well worth a look

i work in a linn shop at the weekends and i see a few of linn bearings (from this time period) that the trust plate has worn big time and affected the tip of the spindle ,...even on bearings that use the genuine linn oil and have there decks only serviced at linn dealers !!

Thanks for all the replies

I posted the same question today on the Linn forum - knowing sooner or later one of the LP12 'Guru' dealers would reply (Peter Swain and Colin Macey)

The official reply from one of them is now on the post - turns out nothing special - 3-in-1 is the recommendation from Linn by all accounts for this particular bearing.

So the snake can go back in the bag!! and the boiling pot taken off the heat.......

Colin's reply on the Linn posting is very interesting - he has showed a photo of what happens with the wrong oil long term - well worth a look
That is not quite true. Colin "asked Linn a while ago" The response was high quality machine oil but that linn said 3in 1 would be fine.

I would beg to differ. 3in 1 comes in different guises, some with just the additives not thought good.

If you want to stick to what Linn originally used and recommended, then it is the Mobil Velocite 6.

i work in a linn shop at the weekends and i see a few of linn bearings (from this time period) that the trust plate has worn big time and affected the tip of the spindle ,...even on bearings that use the genuine linn oil and have there decks only serviced at linn dealers !!
I wonder where the next post will be coming from??:rolleyes:

advertisement

Back