advertisement

'LP' sales down to record low

Not in my house there not as currently winging their way to my door via the postman Dylan Tempest, Budokan & Street Legal both white label demo's and Sgt P UHQR the missus will go ape when she surveys our bank account.

Are they talking about vinyl LPs or CDs when they say "album"?

I got the impression they were talking about either CD's alone, or possibly CD's and vinyl combined. Not sure why they used LP in their headline - that confuses me too.

Personally I've probably bought more CD's in the last year than I have for a very long time due to the price of many being so ludicrously cheap. However, none of these have been 'No.1''s. The sort of stuff that makes it to the top has not been my bag for donkeys years (if at all).

It's all very puzzling. Less than 10000 people are willing to spend £8 on an album by their favourite band yet 150000 people will happily pay £200 to see the same band at Glastonbury.

Damian

It's all very puzzling. Less than 10000 people are willing to spend £8 on an album by their favourite band yet 150000 people will happily pay £200 to see the same band at Glastonbury.

it's not at all puzzling when you consider that it's not so easy to get into a concert for free.

vuk.

it's not at all puzzling when you consider that it's not so easy to get into a concert for free.

vuk.

Don't get me started on music theft... It highlights the hypocrisy though when so-called music lovers spend hundreds of pounds on iPods, laptops, mobile phone contracts, festival tickets etc then complain about the cost of albums (less than a tenner for most albums) and steal the music instead.

Damian

Don't get me started on music theft... It highlights the hypocrisy though when so-called music lovers spend hundreds of pounds on iPods, laptops, mobile phone contracts, festival tickets etc then complain about the cost of albums (less than a tenner for most albums) and steal the music instead.

Damian

do you use spotify?

I didn't watch the posted thread. What was #1?

Surely this is just an anomaly and as posted is it total album sales? Regarding vinyl album sales it completely contradicts an article i read in an APRA Australian performing rights association where things are extremely healthy with sales up 1000% and all vinyl retailers i know are very happy. I have bought 4 albums this week and am still waiting for the XX to arrive.

Vinyl sales are up over 40% in the UK and the USA, more stores are stocking and selling vinyl (Hmv, Fopp, Head and others) more albums are being released on vinyl than previously so the future is relatively rosey for fans of the black stuff.

Paul Darwin
Rega Research

So with vinyl sales up that presumably means the drop for the other mediums is greater still.

I'm not sure I really understand why that should be other than the earlier suggestions of people obtaining it for 'free' (and I agree with the sentiments of dsg on that one)

Excusing the pun in the title (sorry about that) I've just seen this news item:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9751000/9751533.stm

Hardly a surprise I suppose.

I suspect it's a troll article as it makes no coherent point and gives no figures. As I understand it many modern albums sell in shed-loads, e.g. Adele has apparently sold over 22 million copies of her album '21' in the UK, which is more than say Dark Side Of The Moon (link). There's always a scare story like this before the Brits/ Mercury Music Prize etc, and it's always bullshit, as are the events themselves.

i did not mean to make a moral statement, just an economic one.

btw--i think you are talking about copyright violation, not theft. nothing is being stolen here, simply copied.

vuk.

btw--i think you are talking about copyright violation, not theft. nothing is being stolen here, simply copied.

You have bizarre views on intellectual property. IMO it is very obviously theft - it is a person's work, their property, their livelihood - you have no more right to take it without their permission than you have to take their house, car, guitar or other possession. Just because it is unbelievably simple to take doesn't mean it is appropriate to do so.

advertisement

Back