advertisement

LP Ripping software

JOHN VAN BAVEL

pfm Member
I am planning to burn all my 800 odd LPs to FLAC files on my computer . What is the best software to do this obviously in real time . Turntable is Michell Orbe with Dynavector DV 10X 5 cartridge and Dynavector phono amp . The question of a low quality analogue to digital converter in standard computers has been raised and concerns me . I have been happy ripping my CDs with DB Poweramp .

I use Audacity freeware for this. Excellent and highly adjustable. Handles 24/96 recording. You will have to install the appropriate library patch (also free) to export as FLAC. The user interface can be a bit clunky but I find Audacity to work very well.

As you say, my computer's built- in ADC was not very good so I use an outboard one that can convert at 24/96.

Also, Audacity comes with built in tools eg. Noise removal, output level normalisation that I find very useful for LP conversion.

I went through this long and exacting process eight or nine years ago, using Reaper but Audacity is a better choice.

Take time to set levels and be very sure you have turned off all system sounds. I speak from experience;)

How old are you, and what is your time worth?

I started this process some years ago, using Audacity, and it works very well at a technical level, but the process is extremely time consuming - I'm sure I'd have got quicker, but I was averaging over an hour per LP, sometimes more if I'd forgotten a loud bit and crashed my levels. In the end the RIPs don't sound like the LPs and so I abandoned the project, subscribed to Tidal, and for those obscure albums that are not there, I walk over to my barn where my completely analogue system resides and play the album as it was intended, warts and all.

As above.

I started but soon abandoned the whole tedious process when decent streaming services became available.

People who produce truly stunning rips not only have great gear and software, they also select the best copies (version and condition). Manual de-clicking, or very high quality NR minimally involved. It's painstaking, but the results reflect the effort and quality of the process. If you're not up for that, you may find it frustrating and Bob's suggestion might be better.

+1 for Audacity, converted a few, but at my age life is too short. Resuts were Ok, but I'm a good enough sort of person......except for loudspeakers! Steve above is on the money

I use a Roland/Edirol R1 portable recording device to do the AD and preliminary storing. I've had it for 15 years and so far hasn't caught doing any 'evil' to the sound quality! There are better ones today, I gues. Some level adjustment and scarse manual declicking in Audacity and it's finished.

Beware of the audio software in your computer, I recently discovered the one in my PC had 'loudnes' ON by default (angry face).

Ditto.

Audacity to file and even tried an Audio CDR, both lasted several albums effort and then abandoned. Cassette recording seemed less hastle or is that rose tinted specs....

Anyone want my M-Audio Audiophile USB interface! ;)

I used Audacity to copy 80 LPs. As others have said allow about an hour per copy.

I doubt I would have the patience to do 800.

Just keep the turntable. If you want the albums in digital form, either subscribe to a streaming service or purchase the CDs on the used market and rip them. As above, LP conversion is something I would only bother with for obscure lPs.

Ditto.

Audacity to file and even tried an Audio CDR, both lasted several albums effort and then abandoned. Cassette recording seemed less hastle or is that rose tinted specs....

Anyone want my M-Audio Audiophile USB interface! ;)

It is rose tinted specs...

I bought a CDR to replace cassette and it takes no longer to record an LP than with cassette. Also, editing is more comprehensive than with cassette and you have the capability of making a 'mix' from the stuff on the hard drive, or making multiple copies (heaven forfend!!! ;) ) should you wish. I suspect that there's a sort of expectation that with digital involved it should be quicker.. but vinyl is vinyl and plays at its own pace. I mostly keep my audio and my PC separate, largely because they are in different rooms. I make CD-R copies from vinyl on a very ad-hoc basis.. if I fancy something to play in the car for e.g. However, if I can figure out a way of getting file based music into the car stereo ( It's old..) that may change. I'm certain there'll be an 'aux' input or summat in the back of the car stereo, but just getting at it appears to be a major task..

Wrong on two counts.

a. Naughty
b. You will not have a flying clue about the quality or provenance. Likely ripped with an £80 USB turntable.

Well if I were going to do it I certainly wouldn't be using any "amateur hour" software like audacity which is limited to 16 bit on AD, or any cheapo ADC. To do it properly you need a professional quality ADC such as those made by RME, Lynx, Lavry and Benchmark and some proper professional recording software which supports ASIO II such as Ableton.

Anything less is just like taping your records on a cassette deck, fine for the car but not really suitable for serious listening.

I started it a few years ago , but oops, bought a better TT, oops improved the phono stage, oops better cartridge etc so the records are very much still here!

FWIW I also initially did LP transfers with an audio CDR. I then changed to using a Tascam recorder which will do higher resolution and is better made. Then started using decent USB ADCs with a computer. If you want to go the last route there is a wide choice of USB ADCs. But at low cost I'd tend to suggest the Scarlett 2i2 (which is also a DAC). If you want studio quality, get something like a Benchmark ADC. :)

And for best results, use Audacity to remove clicks. It has a handy 'repair' function for doing this by human judgement. Automated alternatives will save you time, but may not always work as well as doing this 'by ear'. Your money and time, your choice. :)

As suggested by someone on here I bought a CDR (Pioneer PDR-609) and made CD-RW copies of all my albums. I then ripped the CD to FLAC using Vortexbox which in >90% of cases found the album in the databases and wrote the appropriate tags; other albums were tagged by BLISS. After each rip I cleared the CD-RW disc and used it again to record another album.

The copies were pretty good with no need to do much with levels except on a few albums. I found Audacity to be a right PITA albeit with more flexibility on noise removal.

CHE

advertisement

Back