advertisement

LP 12 with Lingo 1

I have no experience of Tiger Paw products.
Personally I have several 3rd party parts from Stack Audio UK
VIZ: The Alto sub-chassis, arm-board and cross-brace along with their earlier Ultimate base-board
All supporting Karousel bearing, AO PU7 tonearm with DV20x2L cartridge.
Current PSU is Mose/Hercules.

Very pleased with how it sounds..

Tiger Paw: I have an Akula sub chassis (Aro version) Tranquility and Skale (for Aro) all are excellent and were very good vfm upgrades.

I haven't heard the Javelin but by all accounts it's very good indeed.

and btw, in case you did decide to stick with the Lingo 1, it might be worth getting a new motor if yours is original 80's. I've swapped new for very old motors a couple of times and it made quite a decent difference.

...Maybe a belt too - it doesn't seem like the belt would make much difference but I suspect maybe it has the most difficult & critical job of anything in an LP12.

Get the lingo fixed before you do anything. Try Shelly's stereo in LA. If they won't repair it, mail it to Thomas O'Keef at Overture Audio in Ann Arbor, MI - he'll fix it for a reasonable price.

Once it's fixed, demo the new Majik against yours and decide if its worth the upgrade (that may depend on the dealer's trade-in offer). If you go for the Majik, consider swapping out the Majik PS and motor for a Lingo 4! After that, the sky's the limit!

Hi
Thank you for the advice.

I brought my LP 12 with Lingo 1 to a local Linn dealer / repair person in Los Angeles area and planned to upgrade my Cirkus bearing to Karousel, upgrade the subchasis to Kore, and repair my Lingo 1.

Unfortunately, due to my current Project Evolution 9cc tonearm, I was informed I have to replace it to Linn tonearm to upgrade Kore subchasis.

Perhaps, upgrade Lingo 1 to 4 and upgrade Cirkus to Karosuel??
The Pro-ject 9cc arm is standard Linn mounting. I’ve had one on a traditional Linn arm board and currently the Mober sub/arm board with no problem. Can’t see why it won’t go on a Kore.

advertisement

Back