advertisement

Low Qts bass drivers in a small closed box

mega lord

Centre tapped
Hello :) Lately I have been toying with the idea of trying some low qts 12 inchers in a small closed box. I haven't put anything into winisd yet but have been looking at some Monacor 12" bass drivers as I have been impressed with their smaller mid bass offerings.

I like closed box designs best and don't want the cabinet to be too big . This site https://www.lautsprechershop.de/chassis/monacor_woofer_en.htm gives recommended cabinets. For the sph-300tc it recommends a closed box of 22 litres !! That would be roughly a 30cm cube. Fs is a useful 23 Hz, Qts is 0.24 (which would suggest vented to me ) and Vas is 290 litres.

This must give acceptable results otherwise it wouldn't be recommended surely ? The F3 is 79Hz which is a bit high in my limited opinion. I like bass as much as the next man so don't want to be disappointed in that regard but at the same time I don't want to awaken the evil room mode gods.

Will it work out ?

F3 of 79hz would be terrible. The Eminence Lab12 should work well in a small, sealed enclosure.

22ltr, fully stuffed (to remove midbass hump) gives an f3 of about 48hz.

Yes, 79 Hz seems to be hardly worth bothering with.

I have looked at the lab12 before but dismissed it due to it having a foam surround. Maybe I should consider it again.

Low Qts and small sealed box invariably means high F3, unless you EQ the hell out of the system.

Thanks for your input both.

High f3 is what I thought was inevitable with this arrangement, I just wanted to check. I don't know why that site is recommending low volume closed box cabinets with low qts drivers.

Recently picked up a pair of 10" drivers for £100, Inifinity Perfect 10. Variable Q, by changing an insert.

https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20030420122500/Manuals/108/108PER10VQ.PDF

Have used these years ago in car and they are superb.. No idea how they will do in home but well renowned.

Someone fancy running the numbers? You can grab them cheap (and the 12" version as well) if you keep your nose peeled and your eyes to the ground.

For the Perfect12 VQ - 22ltr, F3 46hz. That's with the low Q insert.

advertisement

Back