advertisement

Low frequency Tinnitus?

Mullardman

Moderately extreme...
I've had tinnitus in both ears for decades. It's HF stuff and worse in one ear but mostly not too intrusive.
Recently, I've noticed another noise. It's a sort of LF 'droning'. Best way I can describe it is similar to the sound of heavily laden Lancaster bombers in WW2 films.
It's only noticeable at night, in bed and at first I thought it might be some sort of machinery, though there's nothing closer than several miles. Eventually found that it changes if I roll over and stops if I sit up, which sort of points to it being something physical.
Anybody else get this? Any ideas?

I've had tinnitus in both ears for decades. It's HF stuff and worse in one ear but mostly not too intrusive.
Recently, I've noticed another noise. It's a sort of LF 'droning'. Best way I can describe it is similar to the sound of heavily laden Lancaster bombers in WW2 films.
It's only noticeable at night, in bed and at first I thought it might be some sort of machinery, though there's nothing closer than several miles. Eventually found that it changes if I roll over and stops if I sit up, which sort of points to it being something physical.
Exactly what happened here three weeks back. I woke at 2am and thought 'there's a lorry sitting on the road outside running his engine'. But no. Joy of joys it another kind of bass rumble tinnitus i guess. Good news is being so low, its far far easier to tune out that the mosquito whine that is it's best mate.

I’ve experienced something very similar. Early hours of the morning in bed, low frequency drone, akin to a distant vehicle or train. Not loud but would bother me for a short time before nodding back off. Not had it for while now, but was never sure if it was a physical problem or something external.

And while lying in bed listening to a low rumble, I’d be reminded of this X-Files episode: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_(The_X-Files)

Get it quite frequently - usually when congested, in worst cases everything goes broken transistor radio as well ..... steam inhalation with a few menthol crystals usually helps.

An Otovent balloon is also a cheap and useful tool to help equalise ear pressure (also safe according to GP):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NV7MD7W/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

... not nearly as much faff as it might seem ;)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I had droning after Covid. It eventually disappeared.
I sincerely sympathise, it drove me crazy.

As well as the high pitched whistle I test to get a low level jet engine noise, like being on board a plane but thankfully much quieter. When I first noticed it I asked my wife if she could hear an aeroplane. I'm lucky, mine isn't too bad generally but I sympathise with many for whom it is a curse.

Thanks for all responses. Guess it's just another of the many joys of ageing. ..:rolleyes:
The Covid link is interesting as I had it 5-6 weeks ago.

Do you take an ACE inhibitor? Tinnitus is a potential side effect of that group of meds.

I’ve had tinnitus since June . It was really bad the first month. It’s gotten better ever since. I’m not sure if my brain got use to it or it just gotten better. I still hear it when it’s silent but it doesn’t bother me. Sometimes I forget I have it.

advertisement

Back