advertisement

Loving Miss Hatto

ClaraBannister

pfm Member
Later today (Sunday) at 2030, BBC1 is showing a drama based on fact about the late concert pianist Joyce Hatto and her husband William Barrington-Coupe. One of the first records I ever bought was an LP of Joyce Hatto performing a variety of piano concerti written for films. It was also the first stereo record I ever owned, and I used it for experimenting with equipment for ages. Mr Barrington-Coupe's claim to fame is that he produced, under several different labels, reasonably-priced classical records. At the time when a full-price LP was 36/6, his records sold for between ten and fifteen shillings, bringing classical records within the reach of a much wider audience. I still own a number of those, which I hang on to for sentimental reasons. For those unfamiliar with the story of their life together, I won't say any more, but I have high hopes that it will be an enjoyable drama, hopefully without too many anachronisms. Incidentally, the older Joyce Hatto is played by Francesca Annis. She presented a children's programme in the sixties called Disney Wonderland, which I used to watch at my grandmother's house in Ailesbury Road, and I fancied her like mad. Francesca Annis, not my grandmother. I'm dreading seeing how she's aged, but then haven't we all?

Just read the story on Wiki. Amazing piss-taking of all the ultra-sensitive music critics. At last I can not feel stupid if I can't tell who is conducting/playing something.

When I play one of William Barrington-Coupe's budget LPs from the sixties, it's interesting to speculate who is actually playing on it, and who the conductor and orchestra are. The information on the label can't be relied on. I suspect some of the original master tapes came from behind the Iron Curtain, so there might be some superb talent involved. It's a shame about the technical quality.

I just removed an obvious thread-crap / troll post by Mick and all responses. I'm bored of that crap in the audio and off-topic areas, I'll not put up with it in the music room.

At the end of the drama, I noticed the logo of the Irish Film Board, and was intrigued. I now discover that the scene where Barry first saw Joyce Hatto play, supposedly the Wigmore Hall in London, was actually filmed in the Olympia Theatre in Dame Street, Dublin, a venue I've been in many times, and should have recognised. I'm now wondering how many other scenes might have been filmed in Dublin. I might have another look at it on the I-Player with a renewed interest.

At the end of the drama, I noticed the logo of the Irish Film Board, and was intrigued. I now discover that the scene where Barry first saw Joyce Hatto play, supposedly the Wigmore Hall in London, was actually filmed in the Olympia Theatre in Dame Street, Dublin, a venue I've been in many times, and should have recognised. I'm now wondering how many other scenes might have been filmed in Dublin. I might have another look at it on the I-Player with a renewed interest.

It was all filmed in Dublin I think. Certainly Trinity college provided a backdrop to the first 20 or so minutes. The trains were good old Dublin DART ( Dublin Area Rapid Transit - the wags at the time saying it was a good job it didn't go to Tallaght, Walkinstown or Finglas)

I think every theatre was the Olympia dressed up.

The kids were giving out to me for mentioning every place in it I recognised. I must still have some of the pre Celtic Tiger ex-colonial inferiority complex that takes pride in any outing of Dublin on the hallowed BBC. (And Trinity was where Mrs Sloop and I met)

A nice piece of understated film making, I don't think the 15 - 18 year olds thought too much of it though, the delights of a one TV household.

I watched this yesterday on BBC iplayer - lovely piece of film making - even more interesting as it was based on real events: extraordinary.

Oh..easy peasey with a proxy server... watching Mock the Week Xmas Special now (something we just don't get here).

The 20th C distribution media distribution models need re thinking in 2012/13..I possit.

#28/60..

advertisement

Back