advertisement

Loudspeakers You Wish To Try But Probably Won't Own In This Lifetime

I agree regards bigger drivers and less ways to make bass more prominent. Hence why the smallest I go now is 8 inch drivers even in standmount hence why i have Rogers LS6 and a pair of old Sony SS 7100. Both simple 2 way and sound better for it.
Would ideally like to try 8 or 10 inch tannoy DC drivers in different cabinet but finding drivers at sensible money is hard and seems the pro stuff like i8 is not suitable. Sadly the prices that tannoy change hands for now is beyond my limited reach

Last edited:
Linn Komri, rare, expensive and big

ATC SCM150A, not so much rare, but expensive and big… although you can discount the cost of power amps so never say never.

Ruark Excalibur, they were expensive, pretty large and never sold in large numbers… they’re epic things though. I need a pair to be available at the same time as I have the spare disposable cash to bin on them… hasn’t happened yet.

Avantgarde Trios, LV horns, all sorts of horns really. I’ve not yet lived with horns, but save for a wife change, there’s little chance of getting away with Big Muckle Horns. So I consider the fact that I somehow got away with big(ish) Tannoys probably the zenith of my loudspeaker journey.

Wouldn’t be against a really high quality, intimate standmount for a notional second system sometime…

OMA Imperia
imp1.jpg
I’d never put that in my house. :D
B&W803.

Any 63 or later Quad electrostatic. Unfortunately not while I live in the tropics, with extreme humidity and free range geckos
Quad electrostatics are something I fully intend on trying, they’re not particularly expensive, not rare and not huge… but your situation is definitely a downer for them.:(

Something with Altec 604-G drivers. In a broadly similar vein, I’d love to be able to afford a pair of Maxonic TW1100 field coil speakers, which I’ve heard just once but they left a deep and lasting impression.

Forgetting practicalities I’d love to spend time with huge Altec VOTT, Avant Garde horns, Khorns, Western Electric cinema horns etc, but I can’t see my wanting to live in an environment large enough to house such things.

Me too! Though my experience with this kind of thing is in Japanese jazz bars where it's not uncommon to find a pair of A7s shoehorned into a room not much bigger than my living room. My problem with them is domestic concerns of an altogether different nature ;-)

Wilson Alexia
Magico M9
Kef Muon

To name a few. I heard the Muons ages ago at the Windsor HiFi show and they made a huge impression on me ( literally). The grip they had on the bass, in fact every frequency range was truly remarkable.

hats off to you, I do not have the skill or knowledge to make me own speakers as much as i would like to some day, although perplexed that big old tannoys can go up to 15inch and seem to work yet have read anything about 8 inch would need to be 3 way to avoid a big gap and roll off? I take DC construction/design overcomes this.

Sonus Faber Stradivari Homage, Amati Homage or Extrema, mainly just because of the age of the speakers (drivers) and available room dimensions.

"This Lifetime " , do you think we'll get another:eek:? @ryder

advertisement

Back