advertisement

Loudspeaker Silicone Sealant Please

Hi

Can someone suggest a silicone sealant to fit loudspeaker drivers with please. I've looked in the obvious places but can't find a product that mentions loudspeakers in the same sentence as the sealer.

Thanks

Mick

Which brand do Naim use in the gasket pack for SBLs?

Have you tried people like Wlimslow audio etc?

Hi Bosh

I've never seen the Naim stuff so don't know. I tried Wilmslow but they recommend their sealing strip and told me that would be just as good. Maybe ... but not for my briks.

I've also tried CPC, RS etc but searches on silicone sealer or sealant bring up products in tubes that would look more at home in the bathroom. It may be I need one of these but I've never used them before so need advice.

Mick

You can also use car gasket sealant "Hylomar <sp?> Blue" is a good choice. This has the advantage that it doesn't set and you can get it from Halfords. Halford's own brand equivalent has a very easy to use applicator and may be a better choice.

Excellent. Thank you.

I remembered someone talking of something Blue but could not for the life of me remember the 'something'. I also thought of Red Hermetite but the last time I saw that was on an engine block and was being chiselled off with a blunt screwdriver so thought it less than ideal :).

Mick

hi Mick,
Be careful with silicone sealers.
Yes they will do and I have used them in the past but if the driver has to come out at a later stage then you've got a job on.

The Bass drivers in your bariks may be sealed at the factory with silicone and they are a pig to remove.

I have used a black outdoor sealent that has no smell and doesn't set except for a thin surface skin.
I know I can remove the driver with ease now.

A trip to B&Q will see you with some suitable stuff.
Remember It's not magic, they only need to be airtight.
dogrun.gif

I have used, and used to recommend Hylomar - but beware, it is solvent-based (methyl chloride) and does indeed set rather effectively if the base material is porous e.g MDF when mounting loudspeakers. Go on, ask me how I know... ;)

M.

John is right, i've used a similar product called "plumbers mate" which is a putty which develops a skin and does not harden (just incase i need to remove the drivers Grrrr)

advertisement

Back