advertisement

loudspeaker longevity

Yet another pair of ES14s - the earlier variant. I'd have to look up when I bought them, I guess about 1989?

Still using 1990 KEF 104/2s. Fabulous speakers; God knows what I would replace them with if they ever fail.

Bought these in 1978. Re-foamed the drivers and refurbished the crossovers a few years ago. Should be good for another 15 years before the next re-foam is due. Not a lot of hassle for a loudspeaker that is easily up there with the very best ever made.

8189822425_7d0a6c658c_z.jpg

Mr Tibbs

I have Linn Sara's in the wardrobe AVI pro nine plus top shelf wardrobe Ruark Tallisman 2's in the dining room and Tandberg 5020's from 1977 in my system, Wife no happy. I used to rotate them every 2 or 3 months but the Tandbergs stay in the system longer than the others now. They are the best speakers i have heard I have had Kans Mk1, epos 11 and 14 BC1's, Celestion 33's, sl6's but they have all gone and the Tandbergs remain.

Is anyone still using loudspeakers from decades ago which they wouldn't part with - and why?
pcm

Linn Kans on Kan II stands '87 vintage.

Sound outstanding when purchased and still do when placed hard against a solid wall and stands tightened every now and then. The sound through the Kans may well have changed over time but then I expect the sound through my ears may well have changed due to my advancing age. If Lp12 / Nait are well fettled then Kans sound first rate and I hear no reason to change, don't feel the need to change so as to follow the latest fashion in speakers;)

Impulse H2s, c. 1993, here. I don't know quite what it it is about them, but I've now had my pair 9years+ and they've seen off a quite a few other options that have passed-through meanwhile.

So I've future-proofed my pair - I've a spare set of tweeters, and refoaming drivers isn't difficult - yes I kept a few spare rings just in case. [The midranges could be fixed the same, but since they appear to be doped fabric, there's no excursion owing to high sensitivity and they are buried in the midhorn well away from daylight/UV, I expect them to last a wee while yet. ;) ]

Is anyone still using loudspeakers from decades ago which they wouldn't part with - and why?
pcm

Close ... but felt I had to part with them ... at least for a while :)

I owned my first pair of Quad 57s from 1980 - 1983.

They were so awesome, but ...

... first son was born in November, 1982 and it was clear that this curious little boy would not be deterred from exploring everything in his path ... little fingers around the Quads was asking for trouble ... serious trouble.

... was a long and winding road -- LS3/5as, Epos 14s, Reference 3a Royal Master Controls, Tannoy DMT System 15 MKIIs

... and finally, after a 30 year hiatus, a return to Quad 57s rebuilt by Quads Unlimited.

Audio wise, I'm home.

WTS

It is interesting that there is a bit of a pattern with 14s and 57s both of which I run. Now those ****ing Kans?- One trick (albeit, a good one) pony.

I have some Snell C from 1986. They have had the 10 inch bass re-coned a couple of years ago and recapped still sound great and far better then anything in todays markey costing up and over 4k. If looked after and not thrashed speakers can last for many years with a litlle TLC now and then.

Another happy NS1000M user here. 1983 vintage and they are not going anywhere. I have some spare NOS crossovers which I might fit one day but at the moment I don't see any point they sound sublime

I reckon I would need to spend serious monet ATC 100 or similar to beat them

eddie

ES14's here as well from February 1988 when I moved house to Tonbridge (still in the same house too) replacing a pair of AR17's that had been modded by Grahams Audio which I had bought in 1980.

Interestingly the crossovers in each are the same - a capacitor in the tweeter lead.

BTW the AR17's are still going strong along with my old NAD 3030 in my friend's house.

Cheers, H.

advertisement

Back