advertisement

"Loud" speakers?

Bose 901's, best party speaker for little outlay. Need the equaliser though. When I was a youf we had some real headbanging parties, the 901's just lapped it up.

Hi
You could try one of the more modern Tannoy Dual concentric's. They are very efficient and have large drivers.

So
DC2000

I use these on a Naim 180... I got them for £15 mint - the stands I use them on were 6 times the price :)

They go loud without stress, sound pretty damn good and also sound good quiet. I'll not be looking to buy another pair of speakers for a long time, despite the fact there are obviously better ones out there :)

Peavey speakers always seem to have a horrible upper midrange squawk on vocals - really blueeeugh to these ears. But that's just me. Cerwin Vega are kind of cool if you must have loud and bomb-proof for parties ;)

Some PA speakers offer a lot for the money. Take the JBL PRX612M for example, it has 18mm and 25mm plywood walls, irregular shape, JBL 12" double voice coil woofer and two 500W Crown amplifiers electronic crossovers and DSP. You wouldn't find hifi speakers with all this below $10k a pair but they sell around $1,600 a pair.

Mr Pig - just to clarify I am not looking to get rid of the Spendors. They will be repaired and I will carry on using them for day to day use. It's ok to have more than one pair of speakers isn't it?

In general, I look after my kit pretty well. I still have the Wharfedale Delta 30s that I bought when i was at school, and they still work. 3 other pairs of my previous speakers are currently on long term loan to various friends, all working.

Thanks for the many ideas - Tannoys, Bose, CVs, JBLs all could be good solutions. I've always fancied a pair of those JBL monitors but they don't seem very common. I may think again on PA boxes too. Horses for courses I guess.

Cheers,

73Chaz.

I think it's stupid to recommend PA speakers for domestic music listening just because the guy got drunk once and killed a driver.

Sorry, but I have no idea what you're on about.
PA systems can be absolutely fine for domestic party use - we're not talking V-DOSC here. As I pointed out, Tannoy's origins lie in PA, as do the origins of Altec/JBL - and I know of quite a few people who have an Altec "Voice of the Theater" system as their hifi speakers. JBL's speakers are based squarely on PA systems (15" LF + 1.5" or 2" compression driver + horn in a big plywood cab, 120db+ @ 1m and -6db down at 40Hz = PA, pretty much).
In fact there are a number of very good reasons why a good set of PA speakers could work better in a domestic environment than standard issue hifi dinky boxes.
In any case, I'm not even recommending a Tannoy PA system: expensive and very heavy. The Peaveys on ebay would I think be fine for occasional party abuse.
Rental is a very good suggestion. Funktion 1 is a pretty awesome bit of kit, both sonically and aesthetically.

I have a pair of 12" two ways with piezo horn tweeters (Fender branded) that generally get thrown up for parties. Also use them outside for bbq's and always amazed how much detail they have for rock type music (particularly upper bass). Pulled the 12" drivers out of them once and couldn't believe how crap they were (magnet about the size of 4 stacked beer coasters) but they just 'work' somehow and never fail. Most people only here this cheap stuff thrashed in pubs where they are extended way beyond their deisgn limits. Used a bit more moderately in a domestic setting and they give surprising results. Again, I'm talking about rock music...

There's a also a pair of 15" EAW JFX590 for when we really want to crank it (run them with Lab Gruppen amp). You really need to be at least 15ft from them though as they can do some damage. http://www.eaw.com/products/JFX590.html

Party speakers should have either i) carpet, ii) vinyl, or iii) matt black paint finish (with a few beer stains)

jfx590.gif

Hi
You could try one of the more modern Tannoy Dual concentric's. They are very efficient and have large drivers.

So
DC2000
DC3000

Simon

Picking up a pair of DC 2000s at the weekend. Wife isn't too pleased as I did promise not to buy anything when she noticed me browsing ebay. I bid the reserve and won.

I'll let you know how I get on (with the speakers, I mean :))

Maybe instead looking for speakers who can go loud better is look for speakers who can withstand high power. Tannoy DC2000 rated at 150w, I think. Spendor A5 also 150w, Spendor A6 200w and A9 - 250w. I do not think that loudness is a problem in small closed space like living room.

advertisement

Back