advertisement

Lou MaCari And The Homeless

He's always struck me as a thoroughly decent bloke

Aye, he played for and managed Celtic, the Celtic team he played in was probably one of the best Scottish football team ever outside of the Lisbon Lions of course and Jock Stein's second great team.

He lost his mother and one of his sons to suicide that would end some people but fair play to him.

He’s definitely gone through a bit of an attitude change over the years. He has been an advocate for people with learning disabilities also.

The last time I saw Macari was in 1973 when he and Mike Doyle had been sent off by Thomas the Book for a minor spat in a Maine Road derby.
They both refused to go off, telling Thomas he was overstepping the rules!
Thomas took both teams off and informed the managers that unless Macari and Doyle agreed to be sent off he would abandon the game.
They did and the game continued.

These days they’d have been banned for life for that!

I couldn’t stand him then but his quiet, unpublicised works in recent years have earned my respect.

If you haven't seen the BBC film "Marvelous", with Toby Jones, it's a great watch and is the story of Neil Baldwin, who has severe learning difficulties, and his job as kit-man at Stoke City. Lou Macari championed him and makes a cameo appearance in the film. It certainly changed my view of Mr Macari, and it's a really inspiring story.

If you haven't seen the BBC film "Marvelous", with Toby Jones, it's a great watch and is the story of Neil Baldwin, who has severe learning difficulties, and his job as kit-man at Stoke City. Lou Macari championed him and makes a cameo appearance in the film. It certainly changed my view of Mr Macari, and it's a really inspiring story.
Yes, I’m not a footie fan at all, but that was inspiring and, as you say, Macari came across as a thoroughly decent bloke.

OP, that’s also an amazing achievement. It feels like the sort of model that could easily be rolled out elsewhere, too.

That's impressive. I saw a similar arrangement where students put garden sheds in a loft style building. It does look to be a sustainable model. Lots of cities have buildings that could be equipped with shared kitchens and bathrooms while leaving private space for individuals when they want it.

advertisement

Back