advertisement

Lots of joy with modest system.

How does one define a 'modest system'..? headline names/kit, or .. the price actually paid..?

pfm has always been about utter-real-life VFM; and my heart is right there. I've been so content for many years now, on that basis.

How does one define a 'modest system'..? headline names/kit, or .. the price actually paid..?

pfm had always been about utter-real-life VFM; and my heart is right there. I've been so content for many years now, on that basis.

This I think - I’m a cheap-ass, I pay low ball prices for high end kit and repair if necessary. Is that modest?

Having a keen eye on the pre loved market is key. Vintage and modest doesn’t necessarily mean second best. I have friends who have much more expensive kit who are a bit flummoxed at the sound quality of my kit.

The (mostly my) "cast-offs" system one of my fiends uses is actually quite fun to listen to especially as she tends to turn up the volume. I had another listen when I dropped in to replace the failing Canary Audio 601 pre with an MFA Classic.

smallish unbranded music centre speakers with captive bell wire / Music First Audio Classic TVC / Avondale stereo power amp / Samsung BLURAY player / freebie interconnects
@the caretaker
This weekend I changed two interconnects...
While the friend was out feeding her brothers hens and rabbits, I removed two pairs of grey cheap-nasty RCA cables.
I inserted
- a 1m pair of Cardas Crosslink II (perfect condition, unused 2nd hand) between Samsung BLURAY and MFA Classic ted pre
- a 50cm pair of Soniclink Silver Pink (from a Hammersmith show way back when) between MFA passive and th eAvondale build

The friend noticed the difference.

Next step will have to be to find some cheap but decent speakers to replace the music centre things (they're actually branded Akai) which have started to develop symptoms which remind me of cone surround damage.

As I just wrote on another thread, my current system is:

Technics SL 1510, with Goldring E3 cartridge
Teac PD-H500c CDP
Teac A-H500i amp
Klipsch Heresy III

TT, CDP and amp costed me €690, shipments & cartridge included.

@the caretaker
While the friend was out feeding her brothers hens and rabbits,

If her brothers live primarily on a diet of hens and rabbits, I'm not surprised she insists they stay outside. One can only hope it doesn't adversely affect their hearing should they be invited indoors to assess changes in the system.

If her brothers live primarily on a diet of hens and rabbits, I'm not surprised she insists they stay outside. One can only hope it doesn't adversely affect their hearing should they be invited indoors to assess changes in the system.
The rabbits are definitely intended for the pot.

The hens get to live longer, until they stop producing eggs that is.

The realities of rural France :)

Cambridge Azure 640 DAB/FM Tuner and Creative T10 speakers in my kitchen/office. Sounds great with a nice tonal balance, and I listen to it for hours every day. The speakers are a real bargain - only £33 from Amazon.

Glorious sun streaming through the widows. Joe Jackson on the Thorens. Got one of those anti static record cleaning arms and it does seem to suppress the occasional static crackle. Good buy at £15.

Last edited:
My hi-fi downstairs has been described as 'a shrine to music' - it's great. However, in most cases, I get 90%+ of the enjoyment hearing the same music on my upstairs Atom/ Shahinian Compass combo. I reckon an Atom plus £500 of sensibly chosen old speakers from eBay equals a great hi-fi, and its one box and one plug rather than 13 boxes and 8 plugs.

Ironically, my budget system does make me appreciate my non-budget system. It might not make sense in a linear way; who but a fool would pay ten times more to hear 5% more for example? But it’s not linear. You get real access to stuff like sound stage. It’s just not a bit further away sounding it’s actually got a position in space. Sound level can be increased without it getting harsh and grainy sounding. I don’t know what instruments actually sound like but I do know they sound more pleasing on the non-budget system. Etc, etc. I favour pleasure over fidelity. If they coincide that’s a bonus but I probably wouldn’t notice.

The definition of modest comes down to context here, but my Naim Nait 5i and CD 5i sound fabulous paired up with Ruark Talismans, it’s an immensely enjoyable setup and draws no negative attention, just gets on with the job.

My main system cost many times the price… I don’t enjoy it many times more!

@the caretaker
While the friend was out (...), I removed two pairs of grey cheap-nasty RCA cables.
I inserted
- a 1m pair of Cardas Crosslink II (perfect condition, unused 2nd hand) between Samsung BLURAY and MFA Classic ted pre
- a 50cm pair of Soniclink Silver Pink (from a Hammersmith show way back when) between MFA passive and th eAvondale build

The friend noticed the difference.

Next step will have to be to find some cheap but decent speakers to replace the music centre things (they're actually branded Akai) which have started to develop symptoms which remind me of cone surround damage.
She's just ordered a pair of ex-dem Monitor Audio Bronze 1 speakers to replace the failing Akai-branded music centre speakers.

Should be able to find some 1980's Monster Cable or QED original in the spares box to hook them up to the Avondale build.

Should make for some interesting listening in August :)

She's just ordered a pair of ex-dem Monitor Audio Bronze 1 speakers to replace the failing Akai-branded music centre speakers.

Should be able to find some 1980's Monster Cable or QED original in the spares box to hook them up to the Avondale build.

Should make for some interesting listening in August :)
My friend finally collected her Monitor Audio Bronze 1 speakers and has hooked them up with some 2nd hand QED that my dealer gave us. He was horrified at the idea of the Monster Cable which he thinks is better suited to towing duties :)

She is over the moon :)

Modest mostly my cast-offs system (from source to speakers):
Cast-off:
- Samsung plastic-clad BLURAY player
2nd hand:
- Cardas Crosslink (100€)
Cast-offs:
- MFA Classic mk1
- Soniclink Silver Pink
- Avondale stereo build
- Old style QED
EX dem:
- Monitor Audio Bronze 1 (230€)
Recycled:
-repurposed bedside cabinets as speaker stands with a bit of bubble-wrap as isolation :)

advertisement

Back