advertisement

Lots of joy with modest system.

I wouldn't count either one as modest. I am fairly sure the setup I was talking about is under 600 CAD when new.

Hello All:

I recently dug out my NAD C 316BEE and my PSB Alpha B1s. I was honestly surprised how good they still sound. Anyways I have been enjoying music like crazy.

Has anyone else had a lot of fun with a modest system?

For the past couple of years I've had acres of joy on a daily basis from a (whispers) Numark direct drive DJ deck that I picked up with an easily fixed earth hum for about 20 quid on Ebay.

Probably time to upgrade but I've certainly had my money's worth :)

The (mostly my) "cast-offs" system one of my fiends uses is actually quite fun to listen to especially as she tends to turn up the volume. I had another listen when I dropped in to replace the failing Canary Audio 601 pre with an MFA Classic.

smallish unbranded music centre speakers with captive bell wire
Music First Audio Classic TVC
Avondale stereo power amp
Samsung BLURAY player
freebie interconnects

I wouldn't count either one as modest. I am fairly sure the setup I was talking about is under 600 CAD when new.
Okay, modest........
Many moons ago, as a student, I grabbed a HH Scott 340 integrated ($30.00CDN) and a pair of Koss M90 speakers ($50.00 CDN) and still remember it sounded lovely on female voices, clarinet and acoustic guitar. Not so good on double bass drum heavy rock though.

Reactions: x21
Hello All:

I recently dug out my NAD C 316BEE and my PSB Alpha B1s. I was honestly surprised how good they still sound. Anyways I have been enjoying music like crazy.

Has anyone else had a lot of fun with a modest system?

I've been told my system is modest. I enjoy it. Very much. A cheeky listening session with Jimmy Smith right now... :cool::cool::cool:

I mix vintage with modern in my system.I have an A&R T21 fm tuner which is moreish. I have a Rotel 965BX which still holds its own and a Denon DR 800. 3 headed cassette deck which is forcing me to buy more cassettes. Modest vintage is where it’s at nowadays. Why pay more?

Last edited:
I mix vintage with modern in my system.I have an A&R T21 fm tuner which is moreish. I have a Rotel 965BX which still holds its own and a Denton DR 800. 3 headed cassette deck which is forcing me to buy more cassettes. Modest vintage is where it’s at nowadays. Why pay more?
I have a modest system at work..and it sounds great! But when I get home and listen to my main kit, there is a world of difference, this is why I paid more..I like to compare dacs and cables etc and just yesterday I was comparing my modded jolida dac with my cyrus dac x+ and the cyrus won by a margin..I couldn't have done this on my work kit..reasonable resolving hifi is needed for comparisons..in my opinion, and my modest systems ( not that modest ) sound great but not for serious listening in my view...at work in the kitchen there is a panasonic music centre and it's sounds fine..until you turn it up then it sounds bit shouty!

The (mostly my) "cast-offs" system one of my fiends uses is actually quite fun to listen to especially as she tends to turn up the volume. I had another listen when I dropped in to replace the failing Canary Audio 601 pre with an MFA Classic.

smallish unbranded music centre speakers with captive bell wire
Music First Audio Classic TVC
Avondale stereo power amp
Samsung BLURAY player
freebie interconnects
Just imagine if the system had better speakers and halfway decent speaker cable and interconnects?

I have a modest system at work..and it sounds great! But when I get home and listen to my main kit, there is a world of difference, this is why I paid more..I like to compare dacs and cables etc and just yesterday I was comparing my modded jolida dac with my cyrus dac x+ and the cyrus won by a margin..I couldn't have done this on my work kit..reasonable resolving hifi is needed for comparisons..in my opinion, and my modest systems ( not that modest ) sound great but not for serious listening in my view...at work in the kitchen there is a panasonic music centre and it's sounds fine..until you turn it up then it sounds bit shouty!
And active listening is only partly about resolution. Knowing the music, responding to the ebb and flow, the tension, the context. I have a relatively modest system with good resolution and listenability. By listenability I mean non-fatiguing and engaging. My FIL has an expensive and very resolving system but I find it fatiguing over long periods. It’s about balance really.

Just imagine if the system had better speakers and halfway decent speaker cable and interconnects?
I'm' not sure about donating the two sets of Kondo Vc I no longer use :)

But I have just found a shortish pair of Pink interconnects from the company that became Black Rhodium... I got them from the maker at a Hammersmith show rather a long time ago.

I'm' not sure about donating the two sets of Kondo Vc I no longer use :)

But I have just found a shortish pair of Pink interconnects from the company that became Black Rhodium... I got them from the maker at a Hammersmith show rather a long time ago.
Would be interested to know if it improves the sound a little bit? Of course bell wire er...and music centre speakers might make it difficult? But small victories can turn big sometimes lol

Raspberry Pi4,IQAudio HAT DAC/Amp, Monitor Audio Silver RX1 speakers - all running as a Squeezebox player. Honestly don’t need much more at moderate volume levels...

My home-office now has its own humble system - Rotel RCD855 & RA-312 amp (18 terrific watts!) hooked up to Ruark Epilogues. Honestly gives me as much pleasure as the main setup downstairs :)

I find the majority of expensive systems poor. They might be good in one area or another but the overall balance is so out of whack that you don't want to listen to them.

advertisement

Back