1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Lots of folks not wearing face masks

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Mongeddavid, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Whereas arranging society so it runs solely for the benefit of piss artists is ok...

2. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

damn right it is - anything else foolhardy hic

blossomchris likes this.
  3. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

Honestly, what a load of absolute nonsense. Expect nothing less any more.

4. Richard Lines

Richard Lines pfm Member

I don't see a problem with the sentiment at all, I worry more about your thought processes!!!

Regards

Richard

5. RXH2

RXH2 Active Member

Well if 1-2% of the population are going to be killed off by covid, I'd prefer it to be the folk who don't give a F#CK about anyone but themselves...

alanbeeb, Big Tabs, Brian and 2 others like this.
  6. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Mrs Mull uses 'off the shelf' spectacles as a back up, because she is mostly a Contact Lens wearer. She went off to Asda yesterday to pick up a pair to replace ones she'd broken. She had had a couple of pairs from Asda and knew EXACTLY what she wanted to purchase.

When she arrived.. wearing her mask... at the Asda 'opticians' dept., she was a told to not stand 'there'. but to stand 'there'.. a different position but actually closer to the receptionist.
    "Do you have an appointment?"
    "No.. I just want to buy a pair of those specs off that rack there" (points to rack. only feet away, behind tape)
    "You still need an appointment"
    "Why?"
    "Because we cannot see anyone without an appointment"
    "I don't want to be 'seen'.. I want to purchase a pair of ready made spectacles from that rack there..."
    " You still need an appointment"
    "Why?..... I just want to buy a pair of those.... points again...just like these... but not broken..."
    "You need an appointment"
    "Ok.. there's clearly nobody waiting. make me an appointment for about half an hour's time and I'll come back when I've done a bit of shopping.
    "That's not possible.. an appointment will need two to three days notice"...

Mrs Mull went to Sainsbury's instead. I think I would have gone straight to Customer Services and complained...
    ..and then gone to Sainsbury's.

I fully endorse and practice all the safety advice.. but I also recognise that it is Manna from Heaven for a certain type of 'Jobsworth'.

Nick_G, TheDecameron, robs and 3 others like this.
  7. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

Around me here in rural Norfolk just about everyone I see is adhering to the rules and wearing a mask and still social distancing properly, I'm genuinely surprised as would have thought rural folk might be a bit less invested in it all, but seems the opposite is true... I'm very impressed. My work colleagues who live in Sheffield, Milton Keynes and London report a somewhat different picture in urban environments.

8. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Except that not how this virus works.

blossomchris likes this.
  9. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Young and fit lol, have you been on a site recently? Most blokes are struggling just to keep themselves inside their T shirt and trousers.

I've resigned myself to the fact I will pick it up somewhere along the way, from either a site like I described, a care home or the many shop/cafe/pub/hotel staff I come into contact with who aren't wearing any PPE either.

AndyU likes this.
  10. Monitor Gold 10

Monitor Gold 10 pfm Member

Has anyone considered there may be people who might be exempt from wearing masks? Also, getting them to justify this in a place of work or in public may leave the accuser in hot water; Disability Discrimination Act.

Technically, I don't have to wear one. Lung Damage. I choose to wear a visor as it affords others protection, protects my eyes and I can breathe.

11. andrewd

andrewd pfm Member

That’s stating the bleeding obvious. Exhibit A: all the clowns that have been hoodwinked by the Cummings administration.

12. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

I reckon visors are good, possibly undervalued. It is thought that Covid-19 spreads by droplets, aerosol and touch. A visor should do a decent job of keeping other folks droplets away from you and yours from them - they will just splatter on the visor. It won’t help with aerosol transmission either way because you have to breathe, but then again a cloth mask won’t be that effective for aerosols either because the holes are too big. And people fiddle with visors less than some masks, so it just might be a little better from the touch point of view. I bought myself a couple, just in case things get worse and I have to go into a high risk situation like crowded public transport or a hospital. Haven’t felt the need to use them yet, thankfully. Masks do us fine.

Monitor Gold 10 likes this.
  13. 2ManyBoxes

2ManyBoxes pfm Member

The big majority of people aren't wearing face masks anyway, they're wearing face coverings. That's the term that the government use in their statements.

AFAIK, a face mask is made to at least N95 standard and can be snugly fitted to the nose and face. A face covering is any old piece of crap that has some unknown chance of catching the virus, maybe 20 - 50%, but mostly it just looks convincing.

However, people wearing what they think are masks will inevitably ignore the second part of the message, namely stay 2m apart and wash your hands before you touch something that's going in your mouth.

This government has failed again and again and again with the simple task of explaining things to people. They really are a bunch of arrogant winkers.

Brian likes this.
  14. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

I thank you made a typo at the end there...

wyjsar likes this.
  15. Big Tabs

Big Tabs pants up, knee down

"A mental murder a day, keeps the psychiatrist away"

I would rather idiots die than those who are making some effort to protect themselves and others.

wyjsar likes this.
  16. Mole Man

Mole Man pfm Member

Which is why I choose to shop at Waitrose!

gintonic and wyjsar like this.
  17. Cav

Cav pfm Member

As someone who wears a face covering as per Gov requirements can I explain that they are used to minimise risk to others not the wearer. Also that whatever the quality of a mask, it is effective only if worn correctly.

Of course, being stupid, I never keep distance and never wash my hands,

I suggest you stay home, stay safe and shut the flip up...

18. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I’m worried about eddies,

[​IMG]

19. 2ManyBoxes

2ManyBoxes pfm Member

Nice try ginger troll