1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Lots of folks not wearing face masks

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Mongeddavid, Aug 1, 2020.

1. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

"It" refers to the situation, not the person! And I'm sorry if I haven't kept up with the current preferred designations.

2. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

I read the post as the ‘it’ referred to the situation and not the person.

I would be more concerned why the carer wasn’t wearing a mask.

3. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

my wife tells me hers were wearing FFP3 masks, and visors

4. Mongeddavid

Mongeddavid pfm Member

Just to clarify it was the customer in the hairdressers not wearing a mask not the hairdressers themselves. I can see why a face mask would prevent a lady getting her hair cut unless she was having her beard trimmed. The local shop is an independant and its closest to me so i use it alot but maybe now ill try somewhere else.

5. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

It is the policy of Sainsbury’s, the Coop and Asda to not enforce the mask ruling.
    They maintain it is plod’s job.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ace-mask-laws-england-police-coronavirus-risk

6. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

Same where I am in Italy. Shop staff were the first to take mask wearing seriously, and many wear visors too. They realized early on they were taking a bigger risk than most people. Checkouts are protected at least to some extent with screens, compulsory sanitizer on the way in. Shop staff have a right to work in safety, it shameful for an employer not to ensure that. I’ve walked into a couple of small shops where the owner wasn’t wearing a mask; I walked straight out making it clear why. They want my money, they wear a mask.

7. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Didn't see anyone without a mask or not observing social distancing in or local Sainsburys when I was doing the weekly shop on Thursday. A neighbour who shops in the local Morrisons says it was total chaos with no control over entry, masks or social distancing. My guess is its a socioeconomic/class thing, at least in part. Morrisons is full of plebs. For the avoidance of doubt, yes, I am an arrogant snob.

8. matt j

matt j pfm Member

On Tuesday I spent 10 hours on a site run by a very large contractor in Hackney, not a single f*ck given anywhere on the site, we were all cheek by jowl huffing and puffing working away, us more so as we had to carry several hundreds of KGs worth gear up and down several sets of stairs into the building and then down into the basement working alongside strangers/labourers/other trades from site.

There's the world people see on telly and there's the real world where not much is being done and folks are carrying on as normal, how there hasn't been a massive second spike yet from what I've seen, I've no idea.

Rcook likes this.
  9. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

It would be interesting to hear from a Psychologist about how long people can stay in a heightened state of awareness & how long before standards drop.
    Add in to the equation a frequent rate of rule changes, well publicised examples of rule makers not sticking to their own advice etc.....
    Shops are in a tricky situation. “ Hello sir, can I ask you to wear a mask as you enter our shop please”—— “no I’ve got medical exemption”
    Challenge that & it could be seen as confrontational, deny entry to him & you lose a potential sale, let him in & other customers may complain etc etc.
    People may tolerate this for a while, but long term will people just say enough is enough?

10. Mongeddavid

Mongeddavid pfm Member

I have 2 liters of the draft citrus session beer to consume later if the weather holds :)

11. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

I find it interesting that shops (those that bother anyway; not our local Poundland!) provide hand sanitiser on the way in, but nothing on the way out, after you have touched all the goods that have been fondled by various people. I carry some in the car, but not everyone is so fortunate.

Brian likes this.
  12. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

You can buy pocket sized containers of sanitizer for a couple of quid. I would suggest using it after you’ve left a shop, as the door handle is a point of high shared-contact.

13. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

We are recommended to not leave it the car.
    Apparently the alcohol evaporates in the heat.
    ( how it can escape the container baffles me).

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/dont-keep-hand-sanitiser-car-18296169

14. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Back from the shops. About half the staff in Sainsburys wearing masks though quite a lot on the shop floor wearing them as chin straps.

No one in the nail bar I passed wearing a mask, customers three to a sofa. One person in the tattooist was. One hairdresser out of two...

It seems about representative of the UK's half-arsed approach - it's all too much of a hassle to bother with.

Hardly a surprise that per capita deaths are still nine times higher than Italy.

I was reminded of this punk classic - Give Me Convenience Or Give Me Death.

[​IMG]

Darren L and AndyU like this.
  15. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

Well, it could be that there is a high rate of asymptomatic infection in the relatively young and fit population you would find working on a building site - ie lots of them had/have it but few if any show symptoms. In Treviso there is a migrant/asylum seeker centre. 293 migrants, 22 staff, all tested the other day, 129 positives all asymptomatic. A similar situation in a migrant centre in Jesolo. Judging from the pictures the lads are all mostly young, fit, skinny Africans, unlikely to have any of the known vulnerabilities. Same in the Italian town of Vo, an early cluster of infection where everyone got tested twice - 40% of those who tested positive were asymptomatic. So maybe Covid-19 can lurk away in the healthy population quite contentedly. Realising this early on is maybe how North East Italy has done well so far.

16. gintonic

back from waitrose, all staff in masks, all customers in masks, apart from a little old lady who seemed to think a flight eye shade would act as a face covering. It was all highly unsatisfactory until security intervened, offered her a free mask, which she refused. Cops arrived and forcibly removed her from the store.

Mole Man likes this.
  17. Bart

Bart pfm Member

According to BBC shop workers do not have to wear coverings, I assume that includes masks.

18. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

The hairdressers wear a mask. It is all a balance of risk.

I get tired of people pointing out obvious contradictions, this is not anything new or insightful. There are still some restrictions in place, you may not may not agree with them but you are welcome to mitigate against them.

19. RXH2

RXH2 Active Member

Went to Sainsbury's yesterday and compliance was high. There were two older ladies wearing plastic face shields instead, not sure what they were thinking.
    I can understand why shop workers are not going to try and enforce this as some of the people who are not going to wear one are likely to be abusive or even violent.
    Shame the virus doesn't kill the selfish twats...

20. gintonic

how pleasant wishing death on someone