advertisement

'Lost' Bowie Jean Genie TOTP footage found

Was the clip actually live, live vocals taped backing or the normal mime? I believe that TOTP on some of the earlier shows used to record a different version in the afternoon which was mimed to for the broadcast performance.

It is a live performance and was recorded on 3 Jan 1973 and shown on TOTP a day later. This contradicts what I'd always been led to believe, that only mimed performances were ever broadcast until New Order's ephocal Blue Monday was shown in 1983. Some bands refused to appear on the show because of this, notably the Clash, so who knows why the policy was changed?
Apparently the cameraman who had kept the Jean Genie footage says he has film of about 100 more from that period so there could be a few more gems to look forward to.

It is a live performance and was recorded on 3 Jan 1973 and shown on TOTP a day later. This contradicts what I'd always been led to believe, that only mimed performances were ever broadcast until New Order's ephocal Blue Monday was shown in 1983. Some bands refused to appear on the show because of this, notably the Clash, so who knows why the policy was changed?
Apparently the cameraman who had kept the Jean Genie footage says he has film of about 100 more from that period so there could be a few more gems to look forward to.
Could be some tripe too.:)

It'd be recorded live, then refilmed with a live vocal over the tape later.
Trevor Boulder. What a name. What fuzzy face things. What a bass player.

It'd be recorded live, then refilmed with a live vocal over the tape later.
Trevor Boulder. What a name. What fuzzy face things. What a bass player.

Were the drums miked up? That would give a clue. In fact did Ronson have a guitar lead, TJ Bolder did, not sure about Ronson though.

Just had another look. Ronson has a lead from amp to effects pedal and from that to guitar.
I became very cynical of so called live performances after watching the Rubettes on TOTP, I didn't realise straight off that they were sending the miming up.
What was the crusher for me though was when I clocked that the Black and White Minsterals were miming on the big set pieces. That was a bad moment in my life.

For those of you too young:

For those of you with a delicate disposition or taste watch at your peril.

Last edited by a moderator:
AIUI, Musicians' Union managed to get miming to the recorded version effectively banned. To get around this, a new backing track was recorded either by the band themselves or by the band 'augmented' with a BBC orchestra of session musicians (if you remember, there used to be a credit for "The Ladybirds" as backing singers). On TOTP, this backing track was then sung over live.

advertisement

Back