advertisement

Losing ITV Hub on our Panasonic TV from late September

The crazy thing is that the earlier Android based Sony TVs are still fully supported, but their later (Google ?) TVs aren’t. My brother bought one new last year and couldn’t get BBC iPlayer, I thought he was just being technically inept as usual and proclaimed “I’ll have that sorted in five minutes”… nope, he was right, completely unsupported. I gave him a spare firestick, which works seamlessly through the TV remote.

Slightly incorrect.

The A90J and other 2021 models using Android Tv didn't have the catchup apps released for near enough a year but are working fine now. Shocking service by Sony I must admit, they released the product without finalising the licensing.

The new range using Google Tv, which I have one, an A95K is working fine with all catchup apps and will continue to do so.

Most modern tvs use Freeview or Youview and ITV Hub is reported to still be produced for those systems.

Tbf, Panasonics Opera based OS is pretty terrible so moving to an Apple Tv 4k box will be a welcomed move anyway.

I have found most tv OS's to be a bit, um, challenging.

Samsungs latest is just bizzare to me.

Shield TV here for the living room, plus 4x apple TV's in the rooms.

As a family we have not watched terrestrial TV since the last world cup final. Were it not for iplayer I would be saving myself 11 quid a month.

Now TV stopped being supported on our 5 year old Samsung earlier this month - they notified us of this in advance and sent a voucher for a free Firestick

Slightly incorrect.

The A90J and other 2021 models using Android Tv didn't have the catchup apps released for near enough a year but are working fine now. Shocking service by Sony I must admit, they released the product without finalising the licensing.

The new range using Google Tv, which I have one, an A95K is working fine with all catchup apps and will continue to do so.

Most modern tvs use Freeview or Youview and ITV Hub is reported to still be produced for those systems.

Tbf, Panasonics Opera based OS is pretty terrible so moving to an Apple Tv 4k box will be a welcomed move anyway.
The Sony using Google TV that my brother bought last year definitely had no BBC iPlayer support because I tried to sort it out and realised it was because of a lack of licensing agreements between Google and the BBC. Maybe they’ve sorted it now, but they hadn’t then… which as you say, seems wrong. It’s a core feature you expect on a brand new UK spec smart TV.

The Sony using Google TV that my brother bought last year definitely had no BBC iPlayer support because I tried to sort it out and realised it was because of a lack of licensing agreements between Google and the BBC. Maybe they’ve sorted it now, but they hadn’t then… which as you say, seems wrong. It’s a core feature you expect on a brand new UK spec smart TV.

Yep, they released the TV's before it was sorted, then took a year to fix it. Pretty rubbish considering they advertised it on release. Same as Peachtree Audio when they released their new Nova amplifier with 'soon to come' optional streaming module, that after a few years of people waiting after purchasing on that pretence was pulled from ever happening. There should be a law against stuff like that imo.

Our LG TV bought last year wouldn't do ITV live streams. It only offered catch up. So I stuck in my Roku Streaming Stick and that allowed Heather to watch Corrie in the bedroom without having get and aerial sorted out.

Is anyone else affected by this?

Our TV is 4 years old and I am loathe to buy a new one.

Something to do with copyright but very irritating.

I am trying to find a workaround but, sadly I think this is impossible.

:(
Just a thought ....

If you have a smartphone .....why not use the appropriate app for the required TV channel and use the "cast" function. As you start the TV show on the phone you can select your cast icon on the screen and away you go ..

I use this for many TV programs...also any YouTube videos I watch.

Woksv really well ..

Ger

Reading the above, most of which I don't really follow, I'm kinda glad that I'm on Virgin TV with my 11 y.o. Sony. I can now get BBC i-Player, though so seldom use it that I totally forget how to bring it up each time.

Once upon a time there was the TV (lots of varieties to choose from) and there was an aerial, plus tuning presets and/or a remote + a recorder if required. Life really was so simple then, though 36" was the max for screen size and digital pic's are better, but who on Earth watches or needs all those oft-repeated channels? Think it's all gone a bit silly, and a major cut-back in advertising would, I feel, put a spanner in the works here.

the only reason all those Apps work on VM is because VM has signed contracts with the App supplier to carry the App. There was a time where the Ch4 App was not on the VM platform due to no contract...

Once upon a time there was the TV... Life really was so simple then...

rediffusion-thumbnail.jpg

BBC1; BBC2; ITV. Jumpers for goalposts...

Just a thought ....

If you have a smartphone .....why not use the appropriate app for the required TV channel and use the "cast" function. As you start the TV show on the phone you can select your cast icon on the screen and away you go ..

I use this for many TV programs...also any YouTube videos I watch.

Woksv really well ..

Ger

Low resolution.

We have two old Panasonic plasmas still doing sterling service with Apple TVs as the source. Gets all the streaming services, worth a look, loads around s/hand (CeX etc)

rediffusion-thumbnail.jpg

BBC1; BBC2; ITV. Jumpers for goalposts...
When I was kid we had Rediffusion with a rotary switch gizmo just like that. In fact when my mum and dad first got it there were two brown Bakelite switches, one for the sound and the other for vision, which I thought was highly amusing.

advertisement

Back