Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Losing ITV Hub on our Panasonic TV from late September

Discussion in 'off topic' started by hornblower, Sep 13, 2022.

1. hornblower

hornblower pfm Member

Is anyone else affected by this?

Our TV is 4 years old and I am loathe to buy a new one.

Something to do with copyright but very irritating.

I am trying to find a workaround but, sadly I think this is impossible.

:(

2. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

A Firestick or equivalent such as Roku is probably your best bet… four years is poor!

cctaylor, Suffolk Tony and narabdela like this.
  3. Alex N

Alex N pfm Member

When our Sony stopped doing iPlayer, we got a Firestick for <£20 on a promotion. Works perfectly, even with the Sony remote.

linnfomaniac83 likes this.
  4. hornblower

hornblower pfm Member

Many thanks for the swift reply, sorry to appear thick, but would the Firestick just plug into the Ethernet socket on the TV?

Currently this is occupied by an Ethernet cable's which goes into a Powerline network for Internet access.

5. Alex N

Alex N pfm Member

HDMI connection to the tv; WiFi connection to the internet.

6. hornblower

hornblower pfm Member

Many thanks for this Alex, might have to do a bit of experimenting, though, connecting the TV via the wifi has been flaky in the past, but Powerline gives a solid connection.

7. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

firestick unless hub is being removed from that as well

8. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

All 3 of our Firesticks plug into one of the HDMI sockets. The WiFi connection is well implemented. We use one in our 16 yo PIONEER PDP507XD and another in our
    15 yo Sony KDL20S2030U.Works very well indeed!

DV

9. hornblower

hornblower pfm Member

Once again, many thanks for the replies, it looks like I will acquire a Roku TV stick.

10. unclefz

unclefz pfm Member

Agree with Amazon Firestick.
    If wifi is flaky then you can get an ethernet adapter for the firestick and plug it into the powerline. - about 12£ish
    If you need the ethernet connection to the TV as well you could get a 4 or 8 port ethernet switch from say TP-Link or Netgear and connect the switch to your powerline and the switch to the tv and the firestick - about £20ish
    Wil also ned additional ethernet cables too though but these are cheap (unless you need super duper audio ethernet cables :))
    May be out on the prices so check prices on Amazon.

11. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Wolfmancatsup likes this.
  12. LecsonQuad

LecsonQuad pfm Member

I use a Roku stick with my 10 year old Panasonic [used to be called a TV but better to now think of it as a display panel with connectivity] . It works just fine. At the price of the sticks you can afford to experiment and sell what you don't like on Ebay. Definitely no need to move the TV on. One of the good things about these sticks is that they have Apps which work on your smart phone.If the WiFi is flakey just improve it - it will be worth it.

13. Jono_13

Jono_13 Duffer

Apple TV could be your friend here.. either HD or 4K version. I only use it for streaming services with my 4K OLED Panasonic TV. Super reliable and very easy to use.

We have iPlayer, ITV Hub, 4OD and Channel 5 apps installed, all work as described

wiresandmore and Wolfmancatsup like this.
  14. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Empire State Human

We use a couple of Apple TV boxes for aggregated tv services as the tv apps are so slow (main tv is a ten year old Samsung, so it’s not surprising) and thankfully ATV boxes aren’t affected, although I think we’ve only used ITV Hub twice in quite a few years.

Mick

Jono_13 likes this.
  15. garyi

garyi leave blank

I have an Apple 4k that could be pried out my hands.

16. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

The crazy thing is that the earlier Android based Sony TVs are still fully supported, but their later (Google ?) TVs aren’t. My brother bought one new last year and couldn’t get BBC iPlayer, I thought he was just being technically inept as usual and proclaimed “I’ll have that sorted in five minutes”… nope, he was right, completely unsupported. I gave him a spare firestick, which works seamlessly through the TV remote.

Alex N likes this.
  17. miktec

miktec unissued

Thanks for the heads up on this - probably the same on our TV.....

Do ITV have any good programmes we might miss?

18. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Yes, despite what broadcasting snobs would lead you to believe.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
    MikeMA likes this.
  19. garyi

garyi leave blank

20. bravem01

bravem01 Active Member

I also use a roku for smart TV on older TV screens. Seems much more reliable than some of the older TV smart implementations and covers all the services I use inc bt sport

MikeMA likes this.