advertisement

Losing Audible Information.

And how come people had to use spectrum analysers to show which hi rez disks weren't just upsampled 16/44?

Ah, but True Believers either reject spectrum plots as evidence that the recordings are upsampled, or stipulate that the act of upsampling itself makes them better sounding.

Ah, but True Believers either reject spectrum plots as evidence that the recordings are upsampled, or stipulate that the act of upsampling itself makes them better sounding.
It would be great if the latter were true, because we could all carry out the exercise for free at home. (properly on our computers rather than in the dacs themselves like pretty much all of them do anyway.)

It would be great if the latter were true, because we could all carry out the exercise for free at home.

It probably is, if you believe hard enough.

Seriously, there are people who upsample their music collection "so that the DAC has less work to do".

Is your contention that the only advantage of 'hires' is ultrasonics?

Paul

No Paul. But the most obvious are likely to be in the top octave and above - all of which is noticeably shelved down in the examples.

This will lead to a very typically "warm audiophile" presentation. Nice. Not very revealing mind IME.

The opposite of your ATC's for instance.

All I am saying is "give it a chance" - play it back on something that can reproduce the signal with a degree of accuracy. I'm not saying the result will be different. It would however at least be valid.

"We also conducted a series of tests at a local CD/DVD mastering facility. I do not currently have a detailed equipment list for this venue, but the speakers were very large and capable high-end monitors, approximately 7 feet tall, and the power amps were sufficient to drive the speakers to very high levels without audible distortion. Some of the source material for these trials was a classical production which was then in process at this establishment. Like all the others, these trials, which were done under a promise of anonymity made to those involved, produced no significant correlations on music at normal levels."

Some of the tests were done by professional sound engineers in a mastering facility. I think it would be reasonable to conclude the system was up to the job. The thing is I am not aware that anyone has done a test since that concludes any different i.e. Taking hi res and DSD recordings and putting them through a 44.1khz/16 bit "bottleneck".

The two professional systems they used probably qualify.

I think they did a thorough enough job that the basic conclusion cannot be argued with from their data. You need to do some proper listening tests with a suitably engineered monitoring system to confound the result.

FWIW I'm not convinced that the Quads are that dull in actual usage...

Paul

advertisement

Back