advertisement

Looking to buy a R&R machine...

All correct and very valid comments Charlie
Those Telefunken machines really do look excellent

Alan

Thank you Charlie - sage advice. I'm looking at a number of machines at the moment; most of them in Germany for some reason :)

I am considering selling my Technics RS1700 if of any interest. In excellent working and cosmetic condition. Comes with polycarbonate reel cover, original Technics spool reels and a very rare battery operated wireless remote control.

Revox G36 Valve R2R? I very nearly bought one some years ago with the intention of sending it to Tim De Paravicini at EAR who could set them up and tweak them to an incredible level of performance. I once heard one at a show, driving his Quad 57s with built in valve power amps - possibly the most realistic sound I've ever heard - but I think the master tape we were listening to was recorded on the same machine...

Revox G36 Valve R2R? I very nearly bought one some years ago with the intention of sending it to Tim De Paravicini at EAR who could set them up and tweak them to an incredible level of performance. I once heard one at a show, driving his Quad 57s with built in valve power amps - possibly the most realistic sound I've ever heard - but I think the master tape we were listening to was recorded on the same machine...

Jem,
Nice though the G36 is, it's no patch on a more modern studio machine. The G36 was a high end consumer machine (even if people like Pete Townshend used them in the home studio in the 60s). Having had 2 x G36s including an original High Speed 15 IPS version, there is no way I would swap any of my current machines for a G36.
The G36 transport is antiquated and there is no library rewind for precious master tapes. The freq response is rolled off at the high end, and it's hard to calibrate, compared to a studio machine. The Sony APR 5000 machines are a dream to set up, with software driven calibration on a dropdown panel (no need to use a tweaker) and 3 tape calibration presets for each of 3 tape speeds. Every time I play a master tape or copy, I check the line up tones at the head of the tape to make sure that the repro freq levels and response mirror the same levels as on the machine which recorded the tape originally. The stock electronics on the APR 5000 machines sound great as well (better IMO than the Studers).
Charlie

Sony APR 5000

You’re a bad man Charlie...;)

eci8ayzlqpirhba5j5s8.jpg

Jem,
Nice though the G36 is, it's no patch on a more modern studio machine. The G36 was a high end consumer machine (even if people like Pete Townshend used them in the home studio in the 60s). Having had 2 x G36s including an original High Speed 15 IPS version, there is no way I would swap any of my current machines for a G36.
The G36 transport is antiquated and there is no library rewind for precious master tapes. The freq response is rolled off at the high end, and it's hard to calibrate, compared to a studio machine. The Sony APR 5000 machines are a dream to set up, with software driven calibration on a dropdown panel (no need to use a tweaker) and 3 tape calibration presets for each of 3 tape speeds. Every time I play a master tape or copy, I check the line up tones at the head of the tape to make sure that the repro freq levels and response mirror the same levels as on the machine which recorded the tape originally. The stock electronics on the APR 5000 machines sound great as well (better IMO than the Studers).
Charlie

I'm glad I didn't do it now, as I have a Ferrograph in my garage I never even switch on, and managed to sell my Nakamichi 600 ZXL whilst it was still worth something. I think 15IPS tape is probably still the ultimate source, but nowadays digital streaming is my thing...

I am considering selling my Technics RS1700 if of any interest. In excellent working and cosmetic condition. Comes with polycarbonate reel cover, original Technics spool reels and a very rare battery operated wireless remote control.

Hi

I've mailed you separately

Thanks
Theo

Last edited:
Jem,
Charlie

I wouldn't have one of these simply because it contains digital/software driven electronics.... Not repairable.

Studers could potentially have much better sounding electronics built and fitted... if there were a demand for it anyway! I'll wait for prices to double again!

Bet that sounds fantastic Charlie :cool:

Alan

Alan, Yes, but as always, a little work is required. Sometimes, as in this case, the levels are a bit off. I've had to tweak the repro levels inc HF on my Sony reproducer to get a zero level transfer, even though my machines are always lined up properly. Just goes to show that you need test tones on every tape, so that you can play it back as it was recorded. But, as you know, that's what you have to do to get tape working properly.
Interestingly, as a non digital guy, I am hugely impressed by the quality of the A2D converters in the Prism Sound gear. Stewart Emmings (Lodgesound) told me about Prism Sound before he passed away. I now know why they are so revered in the recording industry.

McKnight calibration tapes type serious about R2R I'll bet Charlie!:) keep up the good work. Hope you have a Ferrograph series 4-6.. every "tape head" should own one... at least for a while.

advertisement

Back