Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking to buy a R&R machine...

Discussion in 'classic' started by Theo, Jan 14, 2020.

1. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased

All correct and very valid comments Charlie
    Those Telefunken machines really do look excellent

Alan

2. Theo

Theo pfm Member

Thank you Charlie - sage advice. I'm looking at a number of machines at the moment; most of them in Germany for some reason :)

3. disco

disco pfm Member

I am considering selling my Technics RS1700 if of any interest. In excellent working and cosmetic condition. Comes with polycarbonate reel cover, original Technics spool reels and a very rare battery operated wireless remote control.

4. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

Revox G36 Valve R2R? I very nearly bought one some years ago with the intention of sending it to Tim De Paravicini at EAR who could set them up and tweak them to an incredible level of performance. I once heard one at a show, driving his Quad 57s with built in valve power amps - possibly the most realistic sound I've ever heard - but I think the master tape we were listening to was recorded on the same machine...

5. topoxforddoc

topoxforddoc pfm Member

Jem,
    Nice though the G36 is, it's no patch on a more modern studio machine. The G36 was a high end consumer machine (even if people like Pete Townshend used them in the home studio in the 60s). Having had 2 x G36s including an original High Speed 15 IPS version, there is no way I would swap any of my current machines for a G36.
    The G36 transport is antiquated and there is no library rewind for precious master tapes. The freq response is rolled off at the high end, and it's hard to calibrate, compared to a studio machine. The Sony APR 5000 machines are a dream to set up, with software driven calibration on a dropdown panel (no need to use a tweaker) and 3 tape calibration presets for each of 3 tape speeds. Every time I play a master tape or copy, I check the line up tones at the head of the tape to make sure that the repro freq levels and response mirror the same levels as on the machine which recorded the tape originally. The stock electronics on the APR 5000 machines sound great as well (better IMO than the Studers).
    Charlie

6. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

You’re a bad man Charlie...;)

[​IMG]

domfjbrown, 337alant and Theo like this.
  7. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

I'm glad I didn't do it now, as I have a Ferrograph in my garage I never even switch on, and managed to sell my Nakamichi 600 ZXL whilst it was still worth something. I think 15IPS tape is probably still the ultimate source, but nowadays digital streaming is my thing...

8. topoxforddoc

topoxforddoc pfm Member

Theo likes this.
  9. Theo

Theo pfm Member

Hi

I've mailed you separately

Thanks
    Theo

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  10. Theo

Theo pfm Member

That's a monster! Thank you for sharing.

11. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

I wouldn't have one of these simply because it contains digital/software driven electronics.... Not repairable.

Studers could potentially have much better sounding electronics built and fitted... if there were a demand for it anyway! I'll wait for prices to double again!

337alant likes this.
  12. topoxforddoc

topoxforddoc pfm Member

Theo, is this what you're hoping to get out of R2R?
    My relaxation today - archiving my production master of ELO "Out of the Blue"
    Sony APR5002 - as reproducer
    Digital rip at 24/192 using a Prism Sound Lyra 2 PLUS a tape duplicate onto new LPR90 with Dolby SR using my Sony APR 5003
    [​IMG]

13. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased

Bet that sounds fantastic Charlie :cool:

Alan

topoxforddoc likes this.
  14. Theo

Theo pfm Member

Charlie - you have too many nice toys :)

Hopefully I should have a deal on a lovely R2R machine soon...

topoxforddoc likes this.
  15. topoxforddoc

topoxforddoc pfm Member

Alan, Yes, but as always, a little work is required. Sometimes, as in this case, the levels are a bit off. I've had to tweak the repro levels inc HF on my Sony reproducer to get a zero level transfer, even though my machines are always lined up properly. Just goes to show that you need test tones on every tape, so that you can play it back as it was recorded. But, as you know, that's what you have to do to get tape working properly.
    Interestingly, as a non digital guy, I am hugely impressed by the quality of the A2D converters in the Prism Sound gear. Stewart Emmings (Lodgesound) told me about Prism Sound before he passed away. I now know why they are so revered in the recording industry.

16. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

McKnight calibration tapes type serious about R2R I'll bet Charlie!:) keep up the good work. Hope you have a Ferrograph series 4-6.. every "tape head" should own one... at least for a while.

topoxforddoc likes this.
  17. Theo

Theo pfm Member

[​IMG]41131CBD-A327-458D-8CBE-18E31D4A1F78 by call_me_theo, on Flickr

So, after a 400-mile round trip, courtesy of 'disco' (see #43), I'm now the proud owner of this Technics RS1700. Christ, it's a heavy bugger...

Knackered tonight: I might just lug it upstairs and play with it tomorrow. Mike was an absolute gentleman: he also has the most wonderful collection of hifi equipment from the past 60+ years!

18. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

That’s lovely, really nice indeed.

Theo likes this.
  19. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Marvellous.

Theo likes this.
  20. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey pfm Member

Nice, I bought a Technics 1506 for 3 speed and 2 and 4 track reasons. Its the easiest deck to load with tape too.

Theo likes this.