advertisement

Looking for some new Acoustic recommendations please

loosend

Subsequently unresponsive
I am big on Adoustic music guys amongst other stuff
Is there any recommendations anyone can make of artists that may be something that I may not stumble in the mainstream world of music

I came across Nils Lofgren recently and his album Acoustic Live, particularly like the track Keith Don't Go

So if u are into a nice bit of acoustic guitar then may be worth a sniff

I generally try out recommendations on Spotify and if I like I buy

So any suggestions welcomed :)

Thanks
Danny

Any of the live acoustic stuff by Richard Thompson.

There's also a fairly recent live recording on Spotify by Roger McGuin where he plays some old songs and explains their background.

there was a thread about Ezio on here recently, pick up a copy of their album black boots on latin feet, an album with some stonking acoustic guitar playing

Leo Kottke - any of his albums.
Michael Hedges - Live on the Double Planet
Alex DeGrassi - anything
Nic Jones - Penguin Eggs
Peter Hammill - Clutch

The Pizza Tapes - David Grisman, Jerry Garcia and Tony Rice. Recorded live and featuring some wonderful acoustic guitar and mandolin and some tortured vocals from Garcia.

Just noticed, this was my 100th post. Doesn't time fly when you are enjoying yourself!

A little more oddball, but how about James Blackshaw? Virtuoso 12 string player / composer. I only have The Glass Bead Game but I think it's pretty great. Another one worth a listen is Vini Rielly (aka The Durrutti Column). His stuff is more of mixture of acoustic and a stratocaster played as if it were an acoustic. The 'Vini Rielly' album is just beautiful.

six and twelve string guitar- kottke

walkin the strings- merle travis

southbound,memories, home sweet home- doc watson

ruff and stringy sessions- clarence white

tone poems- rice/grisman

ryan adams- heartbreaker

gillian welch- time, the revelator

beyond nature- phil keaggy

america- john fahey

chance meeting- chet atkins/tal farlow

whiskey before breakfast- norman blake

slide rule- jerry douglas

To the OP, not sure if it's just acoustic guitar instrumentals you're after or singer/songwriter type stuff you're after but two compilation albums on the Numero Group label would cover both fields.

NUM018 Wayfaring Strangers: Guitar Soli - This for virtuoso instrumental stuff. Very technical classical type guitar, but great.

NUM028: Wayfaring Strangers: Lonesome Heroes - Singer/Songriter material, and one of my favourites of about 30 or so of their compilations I've bought so far from them. Some sublime stuff on there.

None of the tunes on Numero releases is ever classed anywhere near the mainstream. They class themselves as self confessed 'archivists', so they just put out stuff that sold copies in their 10's rather than 1000's I think.

Even from that NUM028 release, I hunted down a copy of an album by Tucker Zimmerman who I would never have heard about otherwise. I love the whole album and it was all because of one song on a compilation, but that's what that label is all about for me.

Hope this and the above posts keeps you busy

Dan Arborise - Of Tide and Trail

First heard it on Radio 4s Loose Ends so seems appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's always the acoustic latin/spanish guitar bravado stuff from Rodrigo Y Gabriela and Strunz & Farah.
For more mellow stuff, can't beat Paco De Lucia

This is all extremely helpful guys, thanks
I have had a bit of a mad weekend but will defo work my way through all ur suggestions very soon

Thanks
Danny

advertisement

Back