advertisement

looking for jazz/funk/rock music

DMB

pfm Member
for months now i've been mainly listening to Dave Matthews Band. I'd describe their music as a combo of jazz/funk/rock. Im just struggling to find anything that comes close, in terms of how the band work well together as a group. Their live performances are awesome, and I love the jamming style.

Can anybody recommend any similar bands out there?

Or, maybe their are websites where you can sample certain genres in MP3 format? I've tried HMV, but the 30 sec samples dont really give you an idea..

Any help much appreciated:)

Never heard Dave Matthews Band but you may enjoy some early 1980s Gil-Scott Heron, his band were awesome live at this time, included elements of jazz,blues & rock and much more. You may like these providing you can live with occasional bouts of thumb slap bass and politically direct.

For starters would suggest

REFLECTIONS 1981 Arista
MOVING TARGET 1982 Arista

His earlier recordings that made him famous are great too, though musically lighter in touch.

Presume you are familiar with Zappa?

Crash is my personal favourite of his but might I suggest some Ben Harper, or G Love & Special Sauce or maybe even a bit of Blues Traveller.

Another personal favourite more in the 70s style jazz/rock vein is Cosmic Farm and I'm assuming you are already familiar with Bela Fleck and Victor Wooten which is like DMB without vocals.

Cheers
Mike

advertisement

Back