advertisement

Looking for Beautiful / different looking speakers pref floorstanders up to £2.5k / £5k if active

jamington2004

pfm Member
Before I decide to take the plunge and spruce up my birch ply Bastanis Wildhorn with some lovely wood veneer / spray paint the main cabinets..... I am after some suggestions on speakers that are lovely to look at :)

Could be a traditional box speaker with either beautiful wood veneer or coloured gloss paint. or just a fancy looking speaker different shape / beautiful to look at due to their design rather than finish

Size wise - should be roughly maximum 1.5m by 40 by 40 so no huge horns / towers. Forget about sound quality / acoustics for this exercise - I just want to know I missed anything in my searching!!

To give an idea the things I like that would probably fit in my room regardless of sound or budget.

Bastanis Wildhorn of course - the factory made ones with beautiful wood veneer

Monitor Audio Gold / platinum 200 / 300 ebony veneer - amazing finish to look at

B&W Nautilus 802 / 801 - amazing shape to look and generally lovely wood finishes

Dutch & Dutch 8c - love the oak box / white baffle look.... would love to get some but over budget even though I would probably stretch it a bit!

Tannoy Dimension TD12 - look stunning

Rethm Maarga - look even more stunning

Zingali zero evo - those high gloss wooden horns with contrasting coloured boxes! Yummy

Art Neo 10 walnut - lovely wood finish and shape

Mordaunt Short performance 6 - lovely shape.

Meridian DSP5200 / 7200 in fancy gloss colours :)

Devialet Phantom Gold - had these before and maybe tempted to go that way again.....

How about some lime green Focals?

CzCMQiNUUAAaJOS.jpg

Oh wait. They're €13k...

Devialet Phantom Gold - had these before and maybe tempted to go that way again.....

You probably know this but they're unserviceable after they go out of warranty. If they break under warranty they give you new ones because they're hermetically sealed with the electronics inside. Not a huge concern if you don't mind throwing them in the garbage down the road.

Exactly why I sold mine originally - they had 4 years left on an extended warrantee. Not sure if the latest versions can be repaired - the newly named 108db gold

There’s too many speakers out there!!! :)

Auris poisons look amazing - would also love Boenicke but way over budget.

There’s some bright red Focals like the lime green ones for £3k on eBay! :)

Vivid audio more basic shapes are nice - the expensive ones remind me of the tellytubbies for some reason!!

Franco Serbelin look stunning!! Similar design grills to the SF Cremona’s mentioned! Both very suitable contenders :)

Not so keen on the Formation Duo looks - but all in one digital active is great!

Fyne Audio do some lovely gloss wood finishes indeed! Have some on my watch list on eBay.

Deuevel are nice looking but don’t have room for omni directional

Joseph Crow horns - lovely!!!

Probably the Auris Poison so far with wood / contrasting white :)

You might be a bit surprised, depending on your overall room dimensions, that even though the Duevel are indeed omnidirectional, they can work very well somewhat close to the wall behind them, and in fact, do tend to rely a bit on that reinforcement/reflection point. Like any speaker system, playing around with positioning is key to optimize overall sound. FWIW...Have fun!

PS-Years ago, I used to absolutely hate the looks of Duevels for some reason, yet at some point they just grew on me, and then after hearing them, I liked them even more, so I bought a pair. And that was that!

Auris poisons look amazing - would also love Boenicke but way over budget.

There’s some bright red Focals like the lime green ones for £3k on eBay! :)

Vivid audio more basic shapes are nice - the expensive ones remind me of the tellytubbies for some reason!!

Franco Serbelin look stunning!! Similar design grills to the SF Cremona’s mentioned! Both very suitable contenders :)

Not so keen on the Formation Duo looks - but all in one digital active is great!

Fyne Audio do some lovely gloss wood finishes indeed! Have some on my watch list on eBay.

Joseph Crow horns - lovely!!!

Probably the Auris Poison so far with wood / contrasting white :)
Franco Serblin spent 30 odd years at Sonus Faber before heading off on his own in 2006, one of the very few designs that might make me shift my Logans.

advertisement

Back