advertisement

Looking for an architect

bernardhepworth

pfm Member
Hello

Can any recommend a Sheffield based architect?

I'm wanting to build a simple single storey extention on the side of a semi detached house.

Mrs H has been given a couple of architects to contact, but didn't get on with either of them.

If you have had a good experience with someone who is Sheffield based, let me know

Thanks

Why do you need an architect to design something so simple? A decent builder will know how to turn a sketch into a legally compliant and durable building.

Why do you need an architect to design something so simple? A decent builder will know how to turn a sketch into a legally compliant and durable building.

Not everyone wants a basic rendered box with standard sized windows and no thought given to the total design and how it interacts with the rest of the house....

@OP - no recommendations for Sheffield, sorry. But agree that an architect is a good choice (for the reverse of the reasons above).

Hello

Can any recommend a Sheffield based architect?

I'm wanting to build a simple single storey extention on the side of a semi detached house.

Mrs H has been given a couple of architects to contact, but didn't get on with either of them.

If you have had a good experience with someone who is Sheffield based, let me know

Thanks
https://tatlowstancer.co.uk/

I know one of the directors, Ted Tunnicliffe, he is a really good bloke & a very experienced architect. If he can’t help he will certainly be able to recommend someone.

Not everyone wants a basic rendered box with standard sized windows and no thought given to the total design and how it interacts with the rest of the house....

@OP - no recommendations for Sheffield, sorry. But agree that an architect is a good choice (for the reverse of the reasons above).
Who said that was what he'd get? There is such a thing as drawing up a specification with the builder . Anyone who's not an idiot can do this. You only get an ugly rendered box if that's what you ask for.

^ that.
Also ask around for recommendations for good local architectural technicians; many do a bit of freelance work, and will be all you need to work-up something you really like, with enough detail to secure Planning & Building Regs approvals/good set of drawings for your builder. And frankly, a much better-value route on such a simple thing.

NB any good jobbing builder these days will just outsource/ use such to procure the necessary drawings, and charge you a %age on top.

(said as an architect)

You might also look at a few books of architecture (or photos on internet) to see what kind of style you like. One of my favourites is Richard Neutra, but of course lots of others from 1930s, 40s, etc.

You might also look at a few books of architecture (or photos on internet) to see what kind of style you like. One of my favourites is Richard Neutra, but of course lots of others from 1930s, 40s, etc.
Nice, but I'd find it difficult to make that Southern California style work on the back of a semi in Sheffield!

Hello

Thanks for the comments. I thought I'd give you some background as the thinking behind the decision to build an extension.

The house was built in the 1920's, when we bought it some years ago, it had been "modernised" all the original solid wood doors had been replaced by the ply and corrugated cardboard ones, all the fire surrounds had been taken out and boarded up and the dado rails had been removed. We reversed all the work that had been done on it as it was at odds with house.

If you've experience of this type of period house, you'll know that the kitchens are generally small. The idea of the extension is to to open up the kitchen and provide a lot more space from the extension.

So the idea is to try and blend in the extension to the house and give a lot more functional space, which is why we want an architect to give us some ideas on how to do this.

Hello

Thanks for the comments. I thought I'd give you some background as the thinking behind the decision to build an extension.

The house was built in the 1920's, when we bought it some years ago, it had been "modernised" all the original solid wood doors had been replaced by the ply and corrugated cardboard ones, all the fire surrounds had been taken out and boarded up and the dado rails had been removed. We reversed all the work that had been done on it as it was at odds with house.

If you've experience of this type of period house, you'll know that the kitchens are generally small. The idea of the extension is to to open up the kitchen and provide a lot more space from the extension.

So the idea is to try and blend in the extension to the house and give a lot more functional space, which is why we want an architect to give us some ideas on how to do this.
We have recently had a 22 sqm single story extension built to blend in with our house so that it didn't look like an after thought. It was designed by an architect who also brought in all the necessary extras such as dealing with district council planning regulations/application, structural engineer and recommended builders. You'd be surprised at the complexity of what a proper build includes. Our foundations went down almost 3m to match the rest of the house, ground pipes had to be moved, and steel wall supports included in the build due to strong coastal winds.

Remember if the local building controls refuse a completion certificate it will be difficult to sell the house in the future. Also we found that local builders had no interest in our project until we had the plans submitted and approved then builders contacted us!

This was completely different to our last house where we just tacked on a conservatory that didn't need any planning permission and was little more work than building a large greenhouse.

Cheers,

DV

Bernard we had a 25msq kitchen extension that required extensive groundwork done last year I can give you the name of the AT who did the plans, also our excellent builder Steve and Matt if your interested.

S11.

Depending on circumstances you may not need planning permission. You may get it built via permitted development rights, which is much quicker and less painful. Plus, no one can really reject the application this way.

Get an architect, they’ll think of stuff you won’t. And most importantly, familiarise yourself with local planning regs.

But bear in mind there are a lot of bad architects around. Just because they are architects does not mean they are good, in terms of vision, structure and style. But then "good" and "bad" can be pretty subjective.

Nice, but I'd find it difficult to make that Southern California style work on the back of a semi in Sheffield!

Oh I don't know. "Southern California style" makes me think of Spanish-baroque-gothic stuff. Neutra was more "international style," very clean and simple. But I only mentioned him as one of my favourites.

There are a couple of houses on Moor Hall Road which are rather Californian in style. One of them has a flat roof with a natural grass covering, stunning views over the reservoir. I can but dream.

advertisement

Back