advertisement

Looking for a Linn CD player & dealer websites

Had a 1.1, was a lovely machine, been so tempted to buy one back..... would love to hear one with a Dynamik fitted. Can the 1.1 still be fixed? .....
Still have my Karik with a spare HOP3 laser (??) in a box I've had for years.

Theres so many brands that you can choose instead of Linn,.Have a look on ebay for Denon dvd a1 or 5000 you can find them for around £300 better than any linn

What do you mean by better? Ive got Linn Pre Amp and Aktiv amp / speakers - Ive tried another cd player from a very respected brand, and it just doesnt gel in this system, hence the looking at Linn

What do you mean by better? Ive got Linn Pre Amp and Aktiv amp / speakers - Ive tried another cd player from a very respected brand, and it just doesnt gel in this system, hence the looking at Linn
better build quality ,much better parts ,transport and so on.

of course I know.I had expensive crap Kisto and 2 cd players from linn,do you think I dont know what Im talking about?
That’s not what I was saying, but what I will say, is that you stated your opinion as though it was the only one of any value. I’ve had lots of expensive HIFI for various brands, but there are certain products I always come back to, like my Ikemi. The OP is a long term Linn user, and he knows what he wants.

Here’s a bombshell though, I’m not a Linn fanboy, I’m not a fan of the attitude they have towards customer care these days, they keep pushing the entry price up and I think the Rega P10 absolutely walks all over the Majik LP12... others may not agree on that latter point.

If you can get hold of a ikimi that's what to go for. I went from a Magic to ikimi the difference was huge.

I'm a Naimee and I have an Ikemi in my secondary system, it is way better to my ears than several other well thought of CD players I have in my possession including one of the fabled Sonys.

That’s not what I was saying, but what I will say, is that you stated your opinion as though it was the only one of any value. I’ve had lots of expensive HIFI for various brands, but there are certain products I always come back to, like my Ikemi. The OP is a long term Linn user, and he knows what he wants.

Here’s a bombshell though, I’m not a Linn fanboy, I’m not a fan of the attitude they have towards customer care these days, they keep pushing the entry price up and I think the Rega P10 absolutely walks all over the Majik LP12... others may not agree on that latter point.

Yeah, I've tried quite a few TT, and I really dont like the LP12. I have a Notts Analogue ACE Space. Ive tried other CD players with the linn kit, and they dont sound right. The sound coming off my sony tv sounds more "right" than my current £1650 cd player. I think its a system thing. As for that denon dvd player mentioned above, the online reviews say that its really flaky. At least if the Ikemi goes wrong, its the caps or the laser and there are some nice people around who can fix. I agree the entry point to Linn now is very high, and my local Linn dealer experience is somewhat snobbish.

Can I suggest you try changing your username to Regomaniac83?

Can I suggest you try changing your username to Regomaniac83?
There’s a hidden innuendo in my user name that would be lost with Regomaniac83, but I do have an awful lot of time for Rega... I’m still mostly all Linn here though, and that’s unlikely to change soon. I’ll probably have another LP12 at some point too, but I know which bits work for me, so I’ll put it together myself.

There’s a hidden innuendo in my user name that would be lost with Regomaniac83, but I do have an awful lot of time for Rega... I’m still mostly all Linn here though, and that’s unlikely to change soon. I’ll probably have another LP12 at some point too, but I know which bits work for me, so I’ll put it together myself.
I'm guessing you havent yet heard the new Karousel Majik LP12?

I'm guessing you havent yet heard the new Karousel Majik LP12?
I have, and it’s a very good deck indeed, but the Rega still tops it to my ears... in fairness though, the Rega costs £600 more and that’s without a cartridge, so it should really. Something worth noting, is that I’ve only heard the Majik LP12 with the Adikt cartridge, I’ve a feeling it’d sound significantly better with a decent MC and MC phono stage, which the Rega benefitted from... The Rega was like an “affordable” SME though, different to an LP12, incredibly neutral.

Anyway, whilst I certainly don’t think Linn are “The Only Sound”, they are a very valid one.

I have, and it’s a very good deck indeed, but the Rega still tops it to my ears... in fairness though, the Rega costs £600 more and that’s without a cartridge, so it should really. Something worth noting, is that I’ve only heard the Majik LP12 with the Adikt cartridge, I’ve a feeling it’d sound significantly better with a decent MC and MC phono stage, which the Rega benefitted from... The Rega was like an “affordable” SME though, different to an LP12, incredibly neutral.

Anyway, whilst I certainly don’t think Linn are “The Only Sound”, they are a very valid one.
There are lots of great sounding hifi no doubt about that. I only own one Linn peace now that being the Uphorik phono stage. Synergy is the key to great sound.

What did you think to the Krane?

Funny while reading the Karousel note and Mr Darwin comment here, I thought maybe Rega were next in line launching a new bearing for P8/10 (and maybe for my P7 ?)

What did you think to the Krane?
Ooooh, that’s new on me, I heard one with the Majik (Jelco) tonearm! That new arm looks stunning, if it sounds as good as it looks, it’ll be a real winner... I can see a Krystal sitting very nicely on that... now that’s what Rega have gotten right, they offer a choice of bundled cartridges or the deck without a cartridge, I think if Linn opt to offer the Krystal as an option over the Adikt on the Majik LP12, particularly with that new arm, they will sell... and I might buy! If they could make that happen at around £4k, I’m sure it’d be a popular option.

advertisement

Back